cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D frozen on "Firmware update program" Update file cannot be found . . .

clicker
Apprentice

My 70D is frozen on the screen that says "Firmware update program  Update file cannot be found.  Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again".  This message still appears when the camera power is turned off - I have to remove the battery, or it just burns up the battery.   There are no updates available for the camera, yet the message persists, even when battery and memory card are removed and reloaded. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Clicker, 

You can download firmware version 1.1.2 for your EOS 70D from Canon's web site, here

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-70d?tab=drivers

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

lly3988
Rising Star

Similar problem hereunder :

 

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/1721/update-file-cannot-be-found-please-check

 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3448.0

 

 

Have you installed the Magic Lantern onto your 70D and tried to remove it by just formatting the SD card ? If so, you may have to copy the FIR on the card and update again. There is a proper procedure to remove the bootflag. Not just formatting the card.

Thanks, I haven't installed Magic Lantern, and saw on their website that it is not yet available for the 70D.  It was working fine, until I changed the mode settings (upper left dial) and then it happened.

For some reason it thinks there is an update on the card. Did you try re-formatting it in the camera?


@kvbarkley wrote:

For some reason it thinks there is an update on the card. Did you try re-formatting it in the camera?


Sometimes it's worth taking an error message literally. And in this case it appears to be saying that there isn't an update on the card (when it thinks there should be one) or that the update file is corrupted. Using a card reader, I'd copy the latest available update file to the card (placing it in the top level of the folder structure, since that's where the camera is supposed to look) and see if that breaks the logjam. If that doesn't work, try first formatting the card, because any corruption on the card could be what's confusing the update program.

 

BTW, the file type of a firmware update is usually ".FIR" If it's ".zip", then you haven't unpacked it, and that could be the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob:

The OP is from April, I think they are long gone.


@kvbarkley wrote:

Bob:

The OP is from April, I think they are long gone.


Yeah, good point. I got sucked in by the most recent reply, posted earlier this morning.

 

Moreover, the link in that reply points to a page that's apparently no longer available.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi I am sorry, due to some changes to the website, the URL got changed.

 

http://www.pixellicious.com/canon-firmware-update-program-error/

 

Canon service center technicians haven't been able to provide a proper solution. So I have copied the UPDATE file to them memory card. 


Now, every time the Firmware update program error gets triggered, the camera finds the file on the memory card and runs the installation. This ensures that your camera no longer remains stuck on the screen.

 

However this is sort of a work-around. Canon needs to provide a solution to stop the firmware update getting triggered automatically without any reason. Each time it happened I was either in the middle of a shoot or the camera was ON but idle for a minute or so.

 

I hope the information on the URL helps you. I have had too many troubled days due to that error.

 

"However this is sort of a work-around. Canon needs to provide a solution to stop the firmware update getting triggered automatically without any reason. Each time it happened I was either in the middle of a shoot or the camera was ON but idle for a minute or so."

 

Have you tried to install Magic Lantern on this camera body? 

Have you tried to perform the firmware update when connected via USB, instead of putting a file on the memory card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


kcalpesh wrote:

Hi I am sorry, due to some changes to the website, the URL got changed.

 

http://www.pixellicious.com/canon-firmware-update-program-error/

 

Canon service center technicians haven't been able to provide a proper solution. So I have copied the UPDATE file to them memory card. 


Now, every time the Firmware update program error gets triggered, the camera finds the file on the memory card and runs the installation. This ensures that your camera no longer remains stuck on the screen.

 

However this is sort of a work-around. Canon needs to provide a solution to stop the firmware update getting triggered automatically without any reason. Each time it happened I was either in the middle of a shoot or the camera was ON but idle for a minute or so.

 

I hope the information on the URL helps you. I have had too many troubled days due to that error.

 


I assume that you've tried changing cards (or at least done a low-level format) and that it didn't help? You almost have to think that either the card is corrupted in some strange way or there's a bug in the 70D's firmware. In the latter case, I'd expect to see a lot more people reporting the issue.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Avatar
click here to view the press release
Announcements