cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D Image Issue

mickeykorgan
Apprentice

Today while taking photos of a B-2 flyover I noticed that a few of my images turned out completely black. I looked into it more tonight and I noticed that if my shutter is 1/2000 or faster the first image I take is completely black. If I hold the shutter down for multiple captures all the additional photos are completely fine.

I am using a Canon 70D. I looked around online and a few things I saw suggested that the shutter might be going out. The shutter count right now is less than 38K and Canon says this shutter should last 100K, so I am hoping that is not the case.

I tested this with multiple lens and they all are consistent with the issue. Below 1/2000 I am fine, once I hit 1/2000 the first image is consistently completely black.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

Time to replace the shutter. I have a 30D that gives black pictures at 1/8000 sec and half pictures at 1/6400 sec. Longer than 1/1000 sec the issue is not visible.

Skärmbild från 2020-05-12 13-46-55.png

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I wish I could show you some of the pictures I have of me and a B2.

8^)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I looked around online and a few things I saw suggested that the shutter might be going out."

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

"The shutter count right now is less than 38K and Canon says this shutter should last 100K, ..."

This has nothing to do with the actual clicks any single shutter will last.  Some shutters will fail after 10 clicks and some will go half million. It is simply the average expected life. It is more of a how robust the shutter is.  Most do well over that figure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Annotation 2020-05-13 160808.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements