cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D with a Tamron 28-300mm Di PZD Lens.

AHC6D
Contributor
I have had terrific experience with this combo until recently. On a trip to Scotland the camera would not respond to the shutter being tripped. The lens would not auto focus when shutter button was pushed. After several tries the 6D would fire, but not always. I have cleaned and dried the contacts between the lens and body which did not seem to have any impact. When it fires all is fine - lens focusses and image is captured. This anomaly has continued on a periodic, but not predictable pattern. Looking for thoughts on the underlying issue. Thanks,
15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@AHC6D wrote:
I have had terrific experience with this combo until recently. On a trip to Scotland the camera would not respond to the shutter being tripped. The lens would not auto focus when shutter button was pushed. After several tries the 6D would fire, but not always. I have cleaned and dried the contacts between the lens and body which did not seem to have any impact. When it fires all is fine - lens focusses and image is captured. This anomaly has continued on a periodic, but not predictable pattern. Looking for thoughts on the underlying issue. Thanks,

I would try resetting the camera in "P" mode, but only as a resort.

You could have a poor connection between the camera and lens, but I doubt it.  Bad mechanical connections problems do tend to be intermittent, but they also get progressively worse over time.  But first, I would check the usual suspects.

Make sure the subjects have sufficient light.  Double check that you are in One Shot mode, or AI Servo mode.  Double check that you do not have accidentally BBF enabled.  Make sure that you have sufficient light, and are observing the Minimum Focusing Distance.  There is also a setting in the camera that causes it to stop trying to hunt for focus, when and if it gets lost trying to acquire focus. 

If you are experiencing problems focusing when you switch from short focal lengths to pretty long focal lengths, then this may be normal behavior.  Many wide range telephotos have trouble refocusing from the short to the long end, or vice versa.  The same could be said about switching focus between very close objects, to fairly distant objects.

As a last resort, try resetting the camera.  It must be done in two places.  The second is clearing custom functions, and even then not all functions and custom settings are cleared. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the prompt suggestions to fix my issue.  

In order of your thoughts:

1. I agree, not time to reset via "P" mode.

2. Have cleaned contacts just to be sure.

3. Shooting in plenty of light.  Mostly daylight.  In One Shot mode.  Not sure what "BBF enabled" means.

4. Issue happens with long focusing distance and short.  Not consistent.

5. The camera does not stop hunting for focus, it never stops.  Almost like the body and the lens are not communicating consistently.

6. When autofocus is functioning, it works fine at all lengths even when shooting video and changing length during exposure.

7. No custom settings loaded.  But, cleared them anyhow.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks much.

@AHC6D wrote:

The usual explanation for that symptom is that there isn't enough light for the lens to focus correctly. Try setting the lens to manual focus and see if the problem goes away.

Assuming that is the problem, and you don't want to focus manually, one solution is to use an external speedlite. Many Canon speedlites provide an infra-red "assist beam" that can help the camera focus. If you set it up correctly, you can use it even in venues where flash isn't allowed. Where flash is allowed, the speedlite can use visible light for the assist beam. On some cameras with built-in flash (I forget whether the 6D is one), the built-in flash can be programmed to provide an assist beam (using visible light).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thanks Bob.

6D does not have built in flash.  But this issue was not related to available light as it occured during strong daylight with well lit subjects.  Again, it was not consistent and no clear pattern of when it would happen.

Question:  Could a high humidity environment cause a problem with the connectors between the body and the lens?

Thanks, Alan

@AHC6D wrote:

thanks Bob.

6D does not have built in flash.  But this issue was not related to available light as it occured during strong daylight with well lit subjects.  Again, it was not consistent and no clear pattern of when it would happen.

Question:  Could a high humidity environment cause a problem with the connectors between the body and the lens?

Thanks, Alan

A high humidity environment is not good for most consumer electronics.  I store cameras and lenses in plastic bags.  I use dessicants for long term storage.  My 20, 30, 40 year old gear is still in pristine condition.

The winning for strategy trouble shooting problems is to logically eliminate possibilities, not speculate on possible causes, and then testing to confirm or deny that hypothesis. 

"Question:  Could a high humidity environment cause a problem with the connectors between the body and the lens?"

It never has for me and I have shot things is pretty difficult places in my 40+ years of photography. I shot in hurricane Ivan where the gear was wet.  Not just humid, I would say101% humidity. Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Question:  Could a high humidity environment cause a problem with the connectors between the body and the lens?"

It never has for me and I have shot things is pretty difficult places in my 40+ years of photography. I shot in hurricane Ivan where the gear was wet.  Not just humid, I would say101% humidity. Smiley Wink

Canon DSLR camera bodies are typically rated at 0-85% humidity, which I would assume describes storage conditions.

"Canon DSLR camera bodies are typically rated at 0-85% humidity ..."

So....................?  Smiley Frustrated  You just stick with those specs and you will miss a lot of good shots.  My gear does what I want it to. I have never babied my stuff. It goes where I go and does what I do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon DSLR camera bodies are typically rated at 0-85% humidity ..."

So....................?  Smiley Frustrated  You just stick with those specs and you will miss a lot of good shots.  My gear does what I want it to. I have never babied my stuff. It goes where I go and does what I do.

Good, for you.  I believe that the OP was speaking about storage conditions, not usage, and so was I, and so was Canon's spec.

Announcements