cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D MkII GPS just not working

Daviek
Apprentice

I'm testing a new 6D MkII in Scotland. I used the original 6D with GPS without any proble,; I have separate GPS logging, and have used many different cameras with GPS, from basic consumer pocket models like the Fujifilm 770EX to Pentax K-1, Sony A99 and A77, and also add-on modules like Solmeta for Nikon.

The GPS 'block' flashing active symbol does appear, in either Mode 1 or Mode 2, but in two days of travelling and doing all the required stuff like waving the camera in all orientations over my head on a mountain it simple won't lock on at all. I have not a single image with GPS data. I see from other threads that this not a unique experience with Canon built-in GPS. There's no new firmware and no such things as GPS Assist Data.

Anyone have any experience of GPS on 6D MkII, or any ideas how to make it get a fix and work?

David (Kelso, Scotland)

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Daviek wrote:

I'm testing a new 6D MkII in Scotland. I used the original 6D with GPS without any proble,; I have separate GPS logging, and have used many different cameras with GPS, from basic consumer pocket models like the Fujifilm 770EX to Pentax K-1, Sony A99 and A77, and also add-on modules like Solmeta for Nikon.

The GPS 'block' flashing active symbol does appear, in either Mode 1 or Mode 2, but in two days of travelling and doing all the required stuff like waving the camera in all orientations over my head on a mountain it simple won't lock on at all. I have not a single image with GPS data. I see from other threads that this not a unique experience with Canon built-in GPS. There's no new firmware and no such things as GPS Assist Data.

Anyone have any experience of GPS on 6D MkII, or any ideas how to make it get a fix and work?

David (Kelso, Scotland)

Did you buy the camera is Scotland? 

The global GPS systems for consumer systems dramatically changed a few years ago.  They wanted to prevent the GPS signals from being used to guide missles, drones, and other weapons of war. 

If the receiver is traveling above a certain speed, then no GPS signal will be picked up.  A GPS receiver designed to work in one country are will not work in another part of the world.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is Canon UK official loan stock for magazine review, there is very little risk of it being a 'grey import' here in any way. While the sale of GPS models of cameras is restricted in some countries (for example, Sony models with the suffix V are not sold in all regions - only where GPS is allowed) that does not apply in Britain or indeed any European country. Also, if you travel with one of these, it will work anywhere in the world (I have done, with many, and they all do). The Canon 6D original GPS works pretty quickly in my area and is fairly accurate, it's not like a city or places where satellites have poor visibility.

It looks like the same problem users have reported here with other Canon built-in GPS. It's just a bit frustrating as GPS would probably be the only reason I would buy the 6D MkII, it's the only camera in its class which 'ticks all the boxes' now with the foldaway articulated rear screen and GPS.

On Monday I'll be able to check with Canon, and also with hireacamera.com which now acts as the official channel for sending test cameras to journalists. In my experience most photographic writers wouldn't notice whether the GPS is working or not as they don't actually get out and use the cameras they get these days, they just write something from the PR info and put affiliate links... with 2000 clicks on it, it has obviously been out and back at least once already, but presumably this issue has not been mentioned.

David

Let us know what you find out.  

Like I said, GPS systems have changed.  Consumer GPS systems are now dependent upon the region where the unit is located.  Make sure that your time and date regional settings are properly set for your current location.

An trip on an airplane with GPS enabled could confuse the GPS unit, too.  This confusion is by design.  They do not want consumer GPS signals being used to guide rockets and missiles.  The GPS unit would need to be reset before it would work again.  Try turning it off and back on again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don't have a 6D II ... I use a 5D IV.  But it should have a similar GPS.

I normally use Mode 2 (that way it really does power down when the camera power switch is 'off' - the original 6D left the GPS on when the camera powered down unless you went into the menu to disable it).

The GPS is typically a chip and products with GPS imbedded usually don't make their own chip, they typically buy a stock chip (it used to be Rockewell... but now there are lots of suppliers of these GPS chips).  GPS satellites drift slightly in their orbits ... but they constantly broadcast their own orbit elements which allows a GPS receiver to get a better position fix.   But the satellite network's tranmission speed is surprisingly slow ... it takes 12 minutes 30 seconds to download the entire update (but you can start at any point - you don't need to pick it up at the beginning.)  This means if you leave a GPS powered up with a semi-respectable view of the sky (it need not be perfect) then 12.5 minutes later, your reciever should have the latest orbital elements for all the satellites (even the ones on the other side of the planet that aren't visible in the sky).

Modern GPS's are designed to start faster by saving the satellite network's orbital elements.  If you power the device on and you are physically located somewhat near where you were when it was powered off and if it hasn't been too long (a few days) then the device will usually get a position fix fairly quickly (and start refining it's accuracy as it gets new orbital elements).  If it's a been a long time ... or if it's the first time using the GPS (so all it has is factory default elements) then it'll take a lot longer to get an initial position fix while it waits to download updates from the satellites.

If your GPS is on AND you've given it a clear view of the sky (you're outside) AND you've waited more than 12 minutes 30 seconds (it doesn't matter who makes the GPS - that time is dictated by the standard that runs the network) and it still can't get a position fix, something is wrong (likely a bad antenna connection).  The camera would likely need service to correct it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm sure it is faulty. I've used GPS enabled cameras since the first ones appeare and tested several side-by-side to compare accuracy of fixes. We have big open skies and very rapid lock on normally, within a minute for most GPS units here. It's now been in use and turned on, indoors and out, or enabled, since Friday. It's been driven a couple of hundred miles and walked at many points, and walked out locally several times. It simply doesn't work...

My main interest is to know whether anyone else with the 6D MkII has a similar issue. If others are getting rapid fixes, all well. Faults happen. If there is a trend I need to be aware.

David

We suggest reaching out to support for troubleshooting. Here in the USA, you'd call 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 8am to Midnight (ET), and Saturdays from 10am to 8pm. Outside the USA, click HERE for support options. 

Announcements