cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60d turning on/off for no reason

stakeout
Contributor

have about 60K clicks on my 3+ year old 60d..when turned to the ON position and snapping pics( one at a time) all of a sudden it will turn itself off.. this started about a month ago in warmer temps in the Caribbean... then it suddenly stopped happening and has been okay until this morning... taking pics down at the beach in 13* temps..  saw the red light go on and flicker.. happened a few more times after waiting and shutting it on/off manually ..now it is back to being okay..

any ideas what it might be and WHY it's happening.. I figure if I send it in to Canon-repair it's at least a large $$$ charge..  about to order a 7d MkII so don't know if it's worth sending the 60d in for repair..

any help greatly appreciated

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are two "micro-switches" on the camera that will cause the camera to power-off.  One is on the battery door.  One is on the memory card door.  

If you power up the camera, but then open either door... the camera will turn off.

I realize you're probably not opening either door... but if the door no longer has a good fit then the micro-switch might not be pressed in solidly to indicate that the door is closed.

Make sure the tab on the door that presses the switch is not damage and that the door has a good fit.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'll check that out and see if any damage.. you are correct as I am not opening either door..

Announcements