cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D owner for 10 years deciding whether to buy R6 mark 2 or R7?

kodiakak
Contributor

I do a lot of wildlife photography Bears Birds and I'm in the field. I tried the R8 a good camera but battery life small buffer inadequate evf what's the deal breaker. I have a lot of money tied up in Canon lenses so I'm sticking with Canon for me the choice was either R6 Mark II or R7. Only hesitation is the full frame crop factor on my 400 mm lens. can I compensate with an extender? Zoom in photoshop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was going to ask the OP what they mainly shoot. I was going to say sell off the EF-S 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 IS Micro Motor lens and EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens if moving to Full Frame. The RF 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS USM would be a great replacement to the EF-S 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 IS Micro Motor lens. The RF 15-30mm F/4.5-6.3 IS STM would be a great replacement to the EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM. The OP said a max of 2K for a lens. That fits in under budget. Since the EF 100-400mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM & EF 40mm F/2.8 STM are newer lenses they can be adapted very well. Those 2 lenses will also allow all features to be used on the EOS R series.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

A big factor is precisely what you intend to produce.   The resolutions required for large, detailed Fine Art images for sale is much greater than social media, digital display or more modest-sized prints.
The R6II is, IMHO, the leading camera in its class - a  prosumer general-purpose camera.  The R5 is a formidable camera at 45MP, and I use it a lot. The question is whether you need the 45MP sensor?
For wildlife, I would suggest considering the RF 100-500L and the brand new 200-800 IS USM, which is likely my next purchase. 

There is some suggestion that Sigma may announce some native lenses for the RF mount in February, in which case I would not be surprised if they offer a 60-600s lens.  I actually shoot with the EF version of this on all my R-series MILCs with no issues.  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you have the budget, I'd opt for the R62 and RF 200-800.

Not sure which 400mm you are referring to. EF 100-400?

Other things you may want to consider.  The R62 is going to give you better low light and iso performance.  Also better subject separation in day to day photography.  If you crop your photos a lot in post, the higher resolution of the R7 might work out better for you.  It has good low light performance, but does not compare to the full frame sensor in the R62. The R7 and R62 both use the LP-E6NH which is larger than what comes in the R8.  Because they are larger, you get the bigger power source.  🙂

If you are heavily invested in EF lenses, I'd go with the R62.  If you crop a lot or have a larger number of APS-C lenses you can opt for the the R7.  I'd try to avoid the TC, and compensate with the crop sensor and lens you have now.  Otherwise go for the full frame sensor and a lens with a longer FL.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I shoot mostly wildlife myself.  I used to shoot macro mammals and a host of other animals, but as I am now resident in NZ, the name of the game is birds: often in deep bush with lots of clutter.   I used to shoot with the 60D's amongst other cameras, so I have some sense of where you are coming from. I am now retired and produce digital images for display on web pages and display on digital devices, some large, plus some medium sized prints - around A2 metric.
I absolutely, and firmly echo Ricky's support for the R6MkII.  I sold most of my DSLR gear (although I keep an 80D and 5DsR along with some EF lenses, including the 100-400L MkII).  I went with the R5 and both R6 versions.  I deliberately chose to avoid the R7 after both checking reviews I trusted, but also doing my own shooting.
While the idea of a crop sensor may sound appealing, the R7 was built to a budget and IMHO has some serious flaws.
Sensor: while it has a 32MP APS-C sensor, that gives a pixel density equivalent to that of a 83MP FF sensor, which no maker has successfully approached.  There are two implications from this:
Rolling shutter:  the high-speed electronic shutter was much touted for its frame rate of 30FPS, but because the sensor is slow - it is neither BSI or stacked, the refresh speed creates a lot of rolling shutter at high frame rates. One could use mechanical shutter at 15FPS, but it sounds extremely loud, and even on 1st curtain electronic is not ideal.
- Impact on buffer: because the data bus is slow: in part, because all that data is being sent to relatively slow SD cards, if one is shooting at high frame rates, using RAW, the buffer chokes after about 1.2sec!  Not ideal.  Also, there is evidence that the focusing system which is a cut-down version of that for the R3, (which has a fast data bus), and as a result it pulses at times as it tries to find focus, especially when eye tracking.  Again, not stellar...

The body does not support a battery grip, so handling portrait mode with a large, heavy telephoto hand-held is unnecessarily awkward.  There are 3rd party battery grips but they are somewhat clunky.

The R6II.  Has a new 24MP sensor, excellent body, that accepts the same battery grip (BG-10) as the other R5 and R6 models. It has great sealing, fantastic focus and tracking and a fast data bus with high speed processors that support fast tracking, eye and face detection and tracking and reasonably high frame rates.  The fast data buses and larger buffer make the use of dual SD cards more workable, and I have never had the camera choke on bursts.

While you can use your existing EF and EF-S lenses via the EF-RF adapter, I would not use EF-S lenses as they force the camera into APS-C mode, cropping the image area by a factor of 2.56 reducing your MP count from 24 to about 9.5MP - which may be acceptable, that depends on you.

As regards RF lenses, while one may not get the FoV boost from a crop sensor, I have used the fallowing lenses successfully with the R series bodies: EF 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L MkII, 30-300L, 100-400MkII L.  However, if one puts on the native RF lenses the camera gets added performance from the combination of both IBIS and Optical stabilization, plus faster tracking.  The RF lenses are brilliant!  I use the following:
RF 14-35L, 24-105L f/4, 100-500L, - all are excellent optics and allow cropping if required.

Thus, in summary, the R6II is a brilliant camera.  There will likely be an upgraded R7 at some stage, but if they invest in the tech to make it really work it will likely be a lot more expensive.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Guys,

Trevor, glad my recommendation has your support.  Means a lot.  I believe the OP's stated budget is below this threshold.  My hope however is the R62 is within his reach.  Lets see what he comes back with.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well... Does the budget line account for selling the legacy gear - my recommendation assumes this is a possible scenario

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements