cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D Screen error

oliver_jones
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have had my 60D for over a year now, and have no problems with it what so ever. That is until last week in the middle of a shoot (I use mine mainly for film), my screen went black. It wouldn't respond to anything, you can't use play back or bring up the menu. NOTHING. I've read/tried every solution I could find on the web, taking out the battery, using a different SD card, read through the manual several times etc. I will point out I haven't found anyone whose had this specific problem. I initially thought that there was some sort of loose connection with the screen itself as it seems it still records video and can still take pictures.

However when having another attempt to sort it out I found out that if you gently hold down the shutter button the screen comes on ( but you have to keep your finger there) but you can't use any of the other camera features such as recording, using the menu or playback etc So surely that means it’s not a fault with the camera itself and maybe a firmware issue?

Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to solve it? It's driving me Insane!

If it makes the diagnosis any easier I could make a video of my problem and post it to Youtube.

Thanks,

Olver Jones

2 REPLIES 2

@oliver_jones wrote:

Hello, 

I have had my 60D for over a year now, and have no problems with it what so ever. That is until last week in the middle of a shoot (I use mine mainly for film), my screen went black. It wouldn't respond to anything, you can't use play back or bring up the menu. NOTHING. I've read/tried every solution I could find on the web, taking out the battery, using a different SD card, read through the manual several times etc. I will point out I haven't found anyone whose had this specific problem. I initially thought that there was some sort of loose connection with the screen itself as it seems it still records video and can still take pictures.

However when having another attempt to sort it out I found out that if you gently hold down the shutter button the screen comes on ( but you have to keep your finger there) but you can't use any of the other camera features such as recording, using the menu or playback etc So surely that means it’s not a fault with the camera itself and maybe a firmware issue?

Has anyone else had this problem or know a way to solve it? It's driving me Insane!

If it makes the diagnosis any easier I could make a video of my problem and post it to Youtube.

Thanks,

Olver Jones

It's hard to see it as a firmware issue unless you recently upgraded the firmware. It certainly sounds as though some connection (in the camera) has worked loose and become flaky. Until you send it into the shop, I suspect you're just wasting your time.

They'll look first at the shutter button assembly, because of the symptoms you describe. And the fact that the shutter button is used all the time makes it plausible that that's where the loose connection is. In and out in a day or two, most likely.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah I'm going to send it in to be fixed. Thank you

Announcements