cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D And 70-300 f4/5.6 IS USM Blurry Over 50 feet From Subject

Robodot
Enthusiast

This is a follow up to a previous post that did not solve the problem. Here is a youtube video from someone explaining the issue in more detail. His is the 70D but its the same problem. In my case its a longer lens, beyond 50 feet, at 300mm, using the center focus point, all the photos are blurry, not matter the settings, tripod etc. and they have always been soft. Its not the lens because I tried several exact other copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fqWcgtHWA

Example: I bought a 70D this week and it has focus problems and not just with one of my lenses but all of them. I have compared it against my 700D and the 700D has no focus problems and is pin sharp. It is not my lenses but the camera. I now know I will have a fight on my hands with the camera shop getting my money back. Out of 1000 photos I have taken with it using all of my lenses only 4 were pin sharp. Very unimpressed Canon and I expected better

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Robodot wrote:

Very unimpressed Canon and I expected better

The guy in the video is a quack.  

He does not know how to make an AFMA adjustment.  There is no correlation between clicks on the controls in the EOS Utility and the amount of AFMA adjustment you should make.  Besides, you cannot make informed judgements regarding AFMA back/front focusing by using a “flat” focusing target.  

BTW, he is testing AFMA with the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, which in my experience does not focus consistently enough to make AFMA adjustments worth the trouble.  Most consumer lenses do not focus accurately enough to make AFMA worthwhile.  In fact, most consumer lenses have apertures smaller than f/2.8, which means the AF system is probably not realizing its’ full potential.

The video describes AFMA, which is a feature your camera does not have.  So, I do not see the relevance to the issue(s) that you claim to be experiencing.  Had you done researched the camera before you bought it then you should have known about the lack of AFMA before you bought it.  Had you done your research, you might have even discovered that the camera might no longer be serviced by Canon USA.

As far as blaming Canon goes, Canon did not sell you an 8 year old camera, which you claim is a lemon.  Good luck getting your money back.  You have dragged this out for way too long, IMHO.  I am truly sorry for you.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Its not the lens because I tried several exact other copies."

That leaves two possibilities. The camera is faulty or you are. Now which is it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Its not the lens because I tried several exact other copies."

That leaves two possibilities. The camera is faulty or you are. Now which is it?

This video may help you to answer his question.  It is about “8 Common AF Problems and Solutions.”

https://youtu.be/gEDzAMm1FCc

The first tip describes making autofocus microadjustments and lens calibrations.  It includes a link to the Dot-Tune method of making focus adjustments properly with a vertical focus target.  The Dot-Tune Video also advises using a calibrated target that is not vertical to judge front and back focusing, or DoF.

The rest of the problems and solutions will sound very familiar to you, especially the one where a super telephoto lens does not focus sharply at distant subjects.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Robodot
Enthusiast

I have resolved the issue, at least to the limit of the 60D and 70-300 capability. As a last ditch effort I tried some other things which gave me better results.

higher apertures 8+ (this was the key)

higher shutter speed 1000-2500

spot metering 

higher contrast target chart

with these settings the camera will have a very difficult time performing at lower light levels, this is with full sun.

Thank you for your interest and suggestions, good bye!

"Thank you for your interest and suggestions, good bye!"

You are welcome but I don't remember you ever taking any of our suggestions.  However as long as you have found your answer, all the best to you, and good bye.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements