Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600D (T3i) Screen Rotation Fault

JordanAsh84
Contributor

Hey guys!

Pleased to be on the forum!

So... I have a 600D (T3i) that I use as a secondary camera, but the screen rotation sensor has gone (a while ago now), so there's only a certain (very precise) position that it actually rotates to the flip the screen orientation. 

Can anyone help me with what part I'd need to buy in order to replace this and get my screen working back to full potential, please?

I really want to use this for more shooting, but the fact the text is upside down when putting the screen in isn't really for me, and I'd rather not have to have the screen out when just taking pictures. 

Many thanks, 
Jordan. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JordanAsh84 wrote:

The thing is, I'm rather short on money, so the cheaper I can do it (myself), the better. 

As with most repair services, sending it to the manufacturer is going to cost more than if I can just do it myself, even if that means buying a whole screen.

It would be against forum rules for someone to tell you where to buy an LCD screen.  I would start with asking Canon for one.

Repairing cameras require a number of tools that most people do not have on hand, and probably cost more than having the camera professionally repaired.  DIY repairs can also introduce other issues, most especially foreign objects into the camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should get it professionally repaired by Canon, if they are still repairing it.  

Be aware that electronics are no longer repaired on a component basis, but rather on an assembly basis.  In other words, the repair guys no longer use soldering irons to repair circuit boards, they just swap out the entire board assembly, instead.

In fact, repairing your screen may involve a complete replacement of the entire LCD assembly.

The thing is, I'm rather short on money, so the cheaper I can do it (myself), the better. 

As with most repair services, sending it to the manufacturer is going to cost more than if I can just do it myself, even if that means buying a whole screen.

@JordanAsh84 wrote:

It would be against forum rules for someone to tell you where to buy an LCD screen.  I would start with asking Canon for one.

Repairing cameras require a number of tools that most people do not have on hand, and probably cost more than having the camera professionally repaired.  DIY repairs can also introduce other issues, most especially foreign objects into the camera body.

I didn't see that would be against the rules, that's not helpful, haha. 

I can do soldering, and have lots of driver kits for these type of thing, as I've been into electronics for years, so that wouldn't be an issue. I just need to know what it is I need. 

I think wadizzle's suggestions are spot on.  The T3i isn't available any longer.  If you've been "into electronics for years" then you already know its cheaper to replace than it is to repair.  Not to mention the risks he mentioned earlier.         

Here's an option (complete camera for $278):

One of the many great 4th of july deals in the canon store

If you are an adult and can't afford this, you need to reconsider your hobby.  If you are a minor, then start mowing lawns.  Thats what I did.  Or you can guess what's wrong and try to fix it yourself.  Run the risk of breaking something, introducting dust or whatever...  only to find that the repair didn't work...  throwing your money away.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I don't use it that much to warrant replacing. This isn't my main camera, I'd just like to replace the screen, plus it would be fun to do, is that not acceptable?

I'm just having money troubles at the moment, I don't need to reconsider anything. I'm just asking about what part I need...

We can pull out our crystal ball and guess what parts you need right?

I'm not trying to be funny or difficult.  Please consider what you are asking for here.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm asking on the off chance someone knows. Like I said as the very start, it's a secondary camera, so I don't need a quick answer, and am more than happy to wait to see if anyone knows.

I made it clear it wasn't urgent, just an irritating thing I'd like to correct, and if anyone can help.

A sarcastic reply telling me to reconsider my hobby doesn't help, does it? I'm pleased to hear you've never had money struggles in your life, but maybe if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

@JordanAsh84 wrote:

I'm asking on the off chance someone knows. Like I said as the very start, it's a secondary camera, so I don't need a quick answer, and am more than happy to wait to see if anyone knows.

I made it clear it wasn't urgent, just an irritating thing I'd like to correct, and if anyone can help.

A sarcastic reply telling me to reconsider my hobby doesn't help, does it? I'm pleased to hear you've never had money struggles in your life, but maybe if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

From what you've told us, my suggestion would be to take it apart and see if you can fix it without a new part. Since the display does work, the chances are that something in the orientation circuitry has just come loose or worn through. It's not what I'd do; but my experience with building electronics is ancient, while yours apparently isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements