cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5dmark3 can't take a picture

sarahes
Apprentice

I am new owner, so forgive any ignorance!

Just got the camera and am trying to take photos. After I press the shutter button, the red light goes on as if it is saving the pictures to the memory card, but then it stays a constant red and even when I try to turn the camera off I get the message "recording...remaining images:1". The only way to stop it is to take the battery out. I have updated the firmware, taken photos with both cards inserted and also just one memory card (am using sandisk extreme cf 60 mb/s 16 gb and sandisk extreme sdhc 45 mb/s 32 gb, both formatted by camera). thought maybe it was the connection with pins, but I was able to upgrade the firmware using the sd card so it must be connecting. 

any and all thoughts are much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

That's definitely not correct.  If the cards were formatted by the camera itself, then the normal behavior when you take an image is the red activity light should only go on momentarily and then go back off.

Was this a new 5D III (i.e. you are the first owner?) 

We should confirm your camera is not in video mode.  Just to the right of the viewfinder is a start/stop button with a white icon resembling the back of the camera and a red icon resembling a video camera.  I just want to confirm that the switch is selecting the white camera icon and not the red video camera icon.

Also... on the mode dial (left side, top on the camera body and co-located with the on/off switch) what mode is your camera in?

If this was happening with just one card, then I'd suspect it was the card.  But if it happens regardless of which card is inserted, then I suspect your camera is defective.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for your thoughts. 

The camera is in photo mode, not video. I have tried taking photos with the automatic setting and P setting, with the same results of the red light going on and the camera getting "stuck" there. I have tried the cards in other cameras and they work fine so it is definitely not them. 

Happily, and now sadly, I am the first owner. I was so looking forward to this, but I think I will have to take it back now and wait some more.

thanks for the help.

You might phone Canon support ... in the event that this is something trivial.  

As it is a 'new' camera, I think you would have the option to return/exchange it with your dealer.

Best of luck!  It really is a great camera... and I think you really will enjoy it once you can get this resolved.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements