cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mark iii AF (focused) points won't display on lcd screen

paubaker
Contributor

On my 5d mark iii, i can only see where the autofocus points are, but not which ones are focused.  Is there a way to see which points are in focus?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

On the "AF display during focus" you might want to swtich it to "Selected (Constant)".

"Selected (Focused)" says they will only light up briefly to show you what it picked once it finishes focusing, but they go off immediately.  The "Selected (Constant)" mode leaves them on.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What modes are you testing this in?  I do see the focus points (and they track) on mine.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The modes I use are AV TV M.  The AF display during focus is set at "Selected (focused)".  When I half-depress the shutter button the black focus points all briefly light up together (red) - even when I know the whole scene could not possibly be in focus.  I'm sure I must have one of the AF settings messed up. 

On the "AF display during focus" you might want to swtich it to "Selected (Constant)".

"Selected (Focused)" says they will only light up briefly to show you what it picked once it finishes focusing, but they go off immediately.  The "Selected (Constant)" mode leaves them on.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

diverhank
Authority

In Av, tv and manual (may be others too except I don't use them so I don't know or care), you select the focus points so what you see are the ones they are focused on.  In the selection, there is an option for using all focus points, there you will see the ones that will be used for focusing highlighted.  In full auto (the green A+), you will see the focused points also.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I just switched from M to full auto, and the focused points light up, as expected.  So I'm guessing the problem is something to do with how i have set the focus points.  Will look for a tutorial.  Thanks!

Announcements