cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMKIII corrupt images over three years

ronrandle
Contributor

Hi, guys, we've been having an ongoing issue with our 5DMK3 cameras and over the course of three years, this same issue has happened multiple times with all three of our 5DMK3 bodies. My main body has had this occur three times in the last four months; May 12, July 23 and Aug 30.

You click the link to see samples but it appears that the processor is compiling portions of multiple images into one corrupt frame. Canon CPS has replaced the CPU in two of the bodies, reset-updated firmware, but the issue continues to happen.

We regularly maintain our cameras at CPS and are using brand new SanDisk Extreme cards purchased in July 2015.

We record MRAW to SD and CF cards in manual mode, silent shutter mode, single shot, and the images are on both cards. As part of our back up protocol, we remove the CF card to take to the studio and leave the SD card in the camera, and you can see the corrupt image on the back of the camera before card was removed from camera so the issue isn't with our import process or computer.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, what was the remedy, other than switch to Nikon? 😄

Thanks a ton for your perspective

Ron

Sample images

15 REPLIES 15

Response to your post on DPreview blames it on Silent Shutter mode. Does that fit your observation?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, I have posted this on Fred Miranda but not DPreview, could you point out the link?? I suppose the silent shutter could be the culprit and will try to keep our cameras on regular shutter whenever possible.

Thanks for feedback.

Ron

@ronrandle wrote:
I prefer to have a duplicate RAW of each image rather than a RAW + JPG, so no JPG's here. I believe RAW to both cards is also the fastest way to write to two cards.

As I said it was a possible work around, not an ideal solution.

That said JPGs to one card and RAWs to another, in my mind is better than two corrupted RAWs.

Thanks, TT, I appreciate the feedback. If I could replicate the issue I would love to troubleshoot with a RAW JPG combination, and agree that one clean photo is better than two corrupt ones. According to what I'm learning, it's likely that the silent shutter is the issue. I'll follow up if I learn a definitive answer.

Was just joking about Nikon 😉 All my favorite lenses start with C and end with anon.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It was Fred Miranda. I read them both. Sorry for the confusion.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements