Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark 2 unknown issue

happyxujin
Contributor

IMG_0004.JPG

Orgial picture.

IMG_0003_copy.jpg

All the picture I took become pink like this.

Does anyone know why ?

24 REPLIES 24

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

And a chair materializes in the image.  😉

Can you provide a bit more detail?  When I check the EXIF data on your original image, it says it was taken with a 5D II on Dec 6 at 12:06.  The "pink" image was taken on the same day at 12:05.  (the non-pink image was actually taken 21 seconds AFTER the pink image.)

Is this something where you import the image onto the computer... it looks fine... and then some time later you try to re-open the image and it's corrupt?

I'm trying to understand the timeline.  For example... you might have a memory card starting to flake out on you if some images are always pink.  But if a single image was ever ok at one moment... and then corrupt (the same image -- not a different image) at some later time, then it suggests that the camera itself is ok and the problem is either with the card or with your computer.

I have actually personally experienced issues like you depict below -- when the hard drive on one of my computers was failing.   The physical read/write heads were no longer properly aligned to the tracks on disk... so each "write" was slightly bleeding data into the adjacent tracks and corrupting data.  The hard drive was wiped, low-level formatted, and restored from backup and verified clean... only to have the proplem reoccur within days (indicating that the read/write heads were actually loose/sloppy and failing to align precisely over the intended track.)  Once that drive was replaced... issues like this never happened again.  

But just because the reason some of my own images were corrupt (by a failing hard drive) doesn't mean it's the same cause for your image.  I only bring it up because tracking down the culprit will require a bit more info.   We need to understand your "workflow" and timeline.

e.g.

When you took the photo, did you check it on camera after the shot?

Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

Did you copy it to the computer by inserting the CF card into a reader, or did you use the USB cable to copy?

What software did you use to import the image?

Was the image ok immediately after importing?

Did the image become corrupt at a later time?

Had you applied any adjustments/edits to the image and if so, what software did you use?

That's the sort of thing that will hopefully help us figure out exactly when the image ended up being corrupted.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Sorry, I posted in a hurry without detailes.

So actually there are 4 photoes I took on Dec.2013. The first 3 are pink and one is normal(Last one). 

I turned on my camera, random shoot a photo.--> pink

I turned it off and turned again--> pink again.

I turned it off and turned again--> pink again.

I turned it off and turned again--> normal

The pink pictures are almost same. Only difference I can tell is the top of each image. ( it is like noise or something)

First one.

IMG_0001_copy.jpg

Second one.

IMG_0002_copy.jpg

Third one.

IMG_0003_copy.jpg

I don`t think my computer has a problem because I check my camera after the shot.

Pictures turned into pink on the camera after the shot. So we can elimite softeare issue or computers 

Also, this is not happen every time. Sometimes, it just work fine. So I can`t find any kind of clue when it happen.

Some time it works well....and then suddenly next picture became pink.You restarted it, it works as normal for certain time( 1 shot, 10 shots,  it varies) .And , pink again.

Restarting the camera may fix this issue for 70% of the time.But sometimes it remain the same no matter how many times you restart the it. 

I thought my CF card could be a prolem. So I swaped my CF card with my girlfriend(she has a 40D). But this pink thing still happen.

My CF card: Transcend Compact Flash 400X UDMA7 32GB

Filesystem: FAT32

Let me know if there is any othere details I can provide and how do you think.

Feel free to provide any way for troubleshooting.

More pictures provided.

12/16/2013 11:35 AM

IMG_0009_copy.jpg

12:04 PM   A normal image after several restart.

IMG_0013_copy.jpg

12:04PM-----------------------> Pink again ------ on the top of picture

IMG_0014_copy.jpg

12:04 PM

IMG_0015_copy.jpg

If I were you, I would reflash the firmware. If that doesn't work, then send it to service.

You never wrote it, but I suppose you format the CF cards?

Yes, I did format CF cards.

Thank you for your advise. I am about to reflash and see if that works.

You can also try to to hard reset your camera after the reflash.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1205511

Those are corrupted image files. That can be happening for a number of reasons.

The trick is to trouble shoot the problem and try to identify where the corruption is occuring.

1. Did you format the CF card in your camera? (i.e., not in your computer) It is okay to "wipe" a card by formatting it in your computer, but it should always be formatted again in-camera before using, to insure it's ready for use.

2. If so, you say you have tried a different card with the same results. Is it the same type card, bought at the same time? If they are the same and from the same batch, I might be inclined to suspect bad memory cards. If not the same brand, model and batch, then it's unlikely a memory card problem, particularly if you have used the cards without a problem previously.

3. Have you inspected the cards for signs of camage and the socket in the camera to be sure there are no bent or damaged pins? You might need a flashlight to inspect the pins down in the socket on the camera.

4. If the pins and cards appear okay, do the images appear this way when you review them on the camera's LCD? Or is it only when you view them on your computer?

5. If the images appear this way in on the camera's LCD, have you tried shooting RAW files instead of JPEGs? If RAWs are okay, then I'd suspect that something is causing corruption in-camera when converting the files from RAW to JPEG (all images start out as RAW.... when you set to JPEG they are converted automatically in-camera, according to the processes you have set up in the camera: Picture Style, etc.) If only JPEGs are being corrupted, first try "rebooting" the camera. If that doesn't help, try reinstalling the firmware. If that doesn't help, you'll need to have Canon service look at the camera.

6. If the images are only appearing this way after transfer to your computer (i.e., they look okay on the camera's LCD monitor), then it's more likely the corruption is not any fault of the camera, but is occuring during file transfer. It can be bad connectivity, a bad cable, a bad card reader. I've had files corrupted when a reader was connected via a USB hub, and then transfer just fine once the hub was eliminated and the card reader connected directly to one of the computer's USB ports. If you have changed anything.... are connecting differently for downloads or are using a new card reader... that's the first thing I'd suspect.

I would always try "rebooting" before going to the effort of reinstalling firmware.  

If you don't know how to do so, to "reboot" your camera do the following:

1. Turn the camera offf.

2. Remove all batteries... Both the main rechargeable and the little silver date/time/memory battery. You'll need a precision cross point screwdriver to remove the latter. It's in a small "drawer" on the LH side of the camera, near the bottom of the various connectivity sockets and their rubber cover. There is one small screw keeping the drawer in place. Be careful not to misplace the screw after removing it. Depending upon how old the camera is, it might be a good idea to replace the date/time battery, too (it should have approx. a five year life span, depending upon usage).

3. Once all batteries are removed, turn the camera back on.

4. Press the shutter release button once. The shutter won't fire, but this should drain all remaining power from the camera, clearing the memory and resetting factory defaults.

5. Turn the camera off.

6. Re-install the batteries.

7. Turn camera on and check the date/time. You should need to reset it, if you got a proper "reboot". You will likely have to reset any Custom Functions and other menu settings you normally use, too.

8. Test the camera by shooting some images.

If you don't get a proper reboot or the above doesn't help with the problem, you might try everything above again. But this time, instead of pressing the shutter release button, just set the camera aside and leave it turned on for about an hour. This process also should allow remaining power in the circuitry to drain completely and force the camera to reset everything to factory defaults. Once again, checking the date/time to see if it was a successful reboot. 

Finally, if none of the above helps, you can try reinstalling the camera's firmware. It could be that some of the instructions it includes have themselves become corrupted and are causing mis-handling of the image files.

Neither rebooting nor reinstalling the firmware is guaranteed to help.... might even be sort of a long shot and unlikely to help. But they are both things you can try yourself at no cost and sometimes one or the other solves a problem.

If neither rebooting nor the firmware reinstallation helps, and you have completely ruled out the possibility that the memory card(s) is(are) bad or that the corruption is happening when transfering the images, you'll have to get the camera looked at. It's probably a failing component.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Hello Everyone,

I have the same problem on my 5D mkII, the pictures are pink and I need to turn off and turn on for images became normal again, someone can tell me wich part I need to replace ? If this problem is in motherboard (mainboard) or in CCD (sensor) ???

Thanks for help me

Please go back to the first page of this thread and read the earlier replies... "Pink"  images are truncated JPG files. (Even when shooting RAW, the playback on the camera and thumbnails or previews on your computer are actually JPGs embedded within the CR2/RAW file.) The possible causes and solutions are still the same:

If the corrupted files are appearing on the camera's LCD screen...:

1. Memory card... do you regularly format it in camera? If not, that can cause problems. If so, good, but it might be failing. Try a different card. (Note: Be sure

2. "Rebooting" the camera might clear some faulity instructions "stuck" in the camera's circuitry. See posts on 1st page how to reboot a 5DII.

3. Camera firmware can become corrupted, too. A reinstall might fix that. Download the latest firmware for the camera from the Canon website and install it (Note: follow the instructions there carefully and be sure camera battery is charged up, so that it doesn't shut down midway through the update. Also be careful not to touch any of the camera controls or turn it off during the update. Stopping a firmware update mid-stream can "brick" a camera, requiring it be sent in for service.)

If your images look fine on the camera, but are appearing corrupted on your computer, it can be any of the above, or....

4. Card readers are recommended to download images, but can fail for several reasons. Have you changed anything in your computer? Updated software? Connected a card reader differently? If you have made any changes, try undoing them and see if that solves the problem. Also might need to reinstall the card reader driver (software within the OS that works with the reader) or install a new one if you've updated your operating system. Troubleshoot by using a different, known good card reader or try downloading by directly connecting your camera via the USB cord that was supplied with it. If either of these those work okay, replace the first card reader.

5. If you regularly download using the USB cord supplied with the camera, that cord might go bad or it's plugs or the sockets it connects to at either end might become worn or damaged. Try using a card reader instead, and see if that solves the problem. (This is one reason it's generally better to use a card reader, instead of this cord.... If the mini-USB socket on the camera gets damaged, it would likely be a very expensive repair. Also, card readers can be faster downloading, than the cord. Plus the camera's battery is drained during downloads when the cord is used.)

Canon DSLRs don't use a CCD type sensor. They use a CMOS. It could be the fault, but also other components such as the analog to digital converter, memory card socket, things associated with image playback and more can be at fault.  It'spretty  impossible to say, would only be a wild-a** guess for us to try to diagnose the problem and identify faulty parts via forum posts. So, do some trouble shooting, as described earlier and above, and see if that helps you figure it out. All the above you can try yourself at little or no cost and might help you identify and/or solve the problem. If they don't, then it's probably necessary to seek professional help through Canon's service dept. or an independent repairer.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements