cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV firmware 1.2.1: Cannot import pictures from Canon to my iPad Pro 2018 iOS 13.1.2

SpiderWoW
Contributor

Its about importing to an iPad Pro 2018 (NOT A PC):

1. Plugging Canon EOS Mark IV with latest firmware (1.2.1 from sep 2019) and 2 cardslots directly in through USB cable and official Apple USB-A -> USB-C adapter -- photo app opened in iOS 12 but import tab never shows up - now with latest iPadOS 13.1.2 it got worse - the photo app does not even start . after starting it manually there is no import button
  2. the device/cam does also not show up in the files app as a cardreader or other cams do
  3. its the same if 1 or 2 cards are inside the cam
  4. wifi is disabled
  5. dual pixel raw is off
  6. i tested also with other Canon EOS Cameras and it works fine with those

- Canon EOS 7D

- Canon EOS R

- Canon Powershot 100 S

i am not interessted in workarrounds like using a card reader !!

19 REPLIES 19

thanks

i "of course" also opened a similiar thread on apple side

from my understanding the way canon shows the dual slot to apple is not compatible

not sure which side should act for compatibility - and thats the main problem why its never solved on those problem

each side is pointing to the other 😕

@SpiderWoW wrote:

thanks

i "of course" also opened a similiar thread on apple side

from my understanding the way canon shows the dual slot to apple is not compatible

not sure which side should act for compatibility - and thats the main problem why its never solved on those problem

each side is pointing to the other 😕

It's actually not that uncommon, especially in the climate of changing standards to improve software security.  We can only wait for the two sides to come up with a solution (hopefully soon) and to work around that.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Dual slot is not relevant with a Rebel however.

And dual slot 1D X does work with iOS12.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Good point. Still, I think it is a coding issue unless someone has a specific suggestion. If that is so a workaround while they nut it out seems like the best plan.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

i hope so much this is fixed sometime

but my hope vanishes since the problem exists since i have the ipad

I now have access to my iPad.

If I connect the camera via USB to the Lightning connector and turn the camera on, nothing happens, unlike erlier iOS where the Photos app opened.

But, if I go to the Photos app on the right hand side of the bottom of the scren it says Import, and if I slect that the images on my dual slot 1D X are imported.

Unplug the camera and Import goes away. Reconnect camera and it appears.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

You're a legend John! {;-)

cheers, TREVOR

We'll have to wait to hear from SpiderWoW to see if it is a unique bug for that particular camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

SpiderWoW
Contributor
thanks for testing, but...
when i have tried this the import button was NOT showing up
i also opened the photo app manually if it was not opening automatically
and as mentioned the usb device/cam does also not show up in the files app
like other cams / devices do
the 1d might be a different story (for sure software is different)
what ipad / ios are you using ?

iOS 13.1.2 on 10.5" Pro. 

Photos doesn't open when camera is connected. 

Camera doesn't show up in Files. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements