cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX TV MODE ISSUE

Ivica555
Apprentice

Gday, 

Ive noticed a couple of times when using TV mode the camera changes the shutter speed to what I select. I shoot motorsport and will use TV mode when i need to change quick settings. On the weekend i chose 1/800 half press the trigger and 1/320 or lights up on teh back of the screen. Its done this a couple of times. So im trying to understand if there is a setting in the menus where the camera can overide your settings? 

Otherwise I just go full manual, But I would like to understand why it does this.

Cheers. 

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Check under your custom function settings whether you have safety shift enabled.  If enabled, in Tv mode it will change the manual shutter setting (or aperture setting in Av mode) when needed to allow for a standard exposure.  There is also a safety setting for ISO which will allow the camera to change ISO from its manually selected level if needed to obtain a standard exposure.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for that. Will have a look now.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Its good to review all those settings from time to time on a camera as complex at the 1DX or Mk II.  SOmetimes I clear all settings and reset them. Just to be sure I haven't changed something without realizing it or effecting something else.

I have a bad habit of changing the selected focus point accidentally.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I had a look, and it was the bloody safety shift. Now I can turn that off!!!Thanls. I spoke to Canon and got put through to some muppett in the Phillipoines......... " Turn the Camera on and off"  Yeah no worries mate. My main concern is now its fioxed as I have moto GP next weekend. So I used the weekend of Aus Superbikes to iron out any bugs and get my eye in. 

Thanks everyone. 

Per Ernie's suggestion, I've unscrewed myself a few different times by resetting the camera back to factory defaults.  Hopefully that would help your situation as well.  

I agree with Ernie that setting back to default can resolve a lot of issues but I would also keep a written log of your intended customization so that you can dial back in the things that you want after doing a global reset.  When I bought my 1DX 2 I used advice from some of the existing owners for making changes to the custom setup and then over time I made some additional changes for various situations and rather than expect to remember those I keep a document in the same computer directory that has the various manuals for that camera body which makes it easy to go back if I need to do a complete reset.

Shooting with two 1 series bodies at sports events in cold weather I have to remind myself to keep an eye on the helpful status information in the viewfinder rather than just concentrating on catching the action because it is easy to accidentally change shutter speed or aperture when handling these cameras-espeically when switching between the bodies during a developing play.  I don't want the controls locked down because I do intentionally change them during a game but I have to be careful not to unintentionally change them.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements