cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX II cracked sensor??

mikeschalk
Apprentice

Admittedly I do not come anywhere close to pushing this pro body to its limits. I use this camera for commercial food & bev work along with some fast paced lifestyle work where I need the high frame rate and fast AF. 

Yesterday in the middle of my shoot (indoor studio) I noticed a large black line across my entire frame. Thought it was maybe a hair caught in the sensor? Popped the lens off flipped open the mirror hit it with some air from my blower and still the same line. Popped lens off again to examine more closely and this is what I find…

EC4A16F5-E752-4B8B-BE57-0619FF1E47BF.jpeg

Has anyone experience this? I baby this camera and have never dropped it, it spends all its life in a pelican case. It will be in Newport News VA tomorrow for a repair I’m hoping Canon works with me on this. 

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Most likely the crack is only in the anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor. 

Please report back with what Canon says.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ah that makes sense! Still so bizarre for that to fail just out of the blue. Camera will arrive tomorrow I will keep posted on this thread what the outcome is. 

That is odd.  I wonder if the self-cleaning cycle damaged it, as unlikely as that sounds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@mikeschalk,

Wishing the best for you.  Hoping for a quick repair.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That is a first for me. I don't' think I ever remember seeing or hearing about a cracked sensor or filter screen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mikeschalk
Apprentice

Woof that’s a heavy estimate. Noticed on their interpretation of the issue they note “crack on mirror.” Spoke to a tech just now who had also never heard of this happening, he escalated the issue up the ladder. Will hear back on Monday/Tuesday. 

B6B04D49-40BE-4CDB-A09B-12C0870A9BCD.jpeg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Like others, this is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.  I might understand if the camera was subjected to severe impact.  The CMOS sits on a substantial wafer.  Excessive heat is the only other thing I can think of that might cause something like this.  Your estimate is hefty. KEH has 1DX2's for $1800~$2900 (bargain~excellent+)  

Your options are somewhat limited.  R3 (not available).  I wouldn't buy a 1DX3 now as it would not be as future proof as the R3 in a year.  Estimate is still roughly half as much as a new camera.  If Canon does the repair, you have warranty and the assurance of a functioning camera.  I'd fix it and plan to upgrade in a year or so.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements