cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 - 54 lens does not zoom automatically outerpiece of lens wont turn

94engineer
Apprentice
Hello all,

I recently got a canon 70d with 18-55 mm lens but whenever i try to zoom on a picture the outer piece doesnot roate to give zoom i have to manally zoom in the object do i need to change any settings or the lenses doesnt come with that functionality.

Is 18-135 is the same way for the zoom like it wont turn automatically when shutter button is pressed ??
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon does not make any DSLR lenses that "auto zoom'.  All they can do is auto focus.  Some lenses do have barrels that rotate the barrel when they change focus, which can lend the impression that they are changing focal length, or zooming.  I believe the two lenses you seem to have mentioned do exactly that.

Make sure the AF/MF switch on the lens barrels is set to AF, Auto Focus.  The MF setting is for Manual Focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

94engineer
Apprentice
Thanks for the info but i guess i am struggling with the 18-55 because the barrel wont turn on itself even the switch is on to AF

@94engineer wrote:
Thanks for the info but i guess i am struggling with the 18-55 because the barrel wont turn on itself even the switch is on to AF

Do not turn the focus ring when the AF/MF switch is in the AF position.  You can jam the motors, which I suspect is your issue.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138173#M5481

Look for the post by Canon Product Expert Julius in the above thread.  Read through the entire thread.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements