cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

101EOSSD

derz1
Contributor

I transferred images to my lap top. To review the folder the images come up as an 101EOS5D(1) and upward

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI, so I found the images. I had downloaded them to an adjoining  folder and they were at the bottom. In doing so, I cleaned all the files off the card. In my efforts to find the images, somehow the card was corrupt so it has been disposed of. I have been shooting for 15 years so  I do have some acumen but as things flowed in this exercise, something just didn't add up. I think what really happened was I associated the wrong card with one I had just used. I had been traipsing around the Palouse in the rain for three days and in hindsight, I can see how this might have happened. Anyway, gosh, I am sure grateful for you assistance and attentiveness. Happy Trails, Dan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the forum:

To be honest your post needs a LOT more detail if we are to help you. 

What camera are you using?  From the numbering it looks like you have a version of the EOS 5D
How did you do the transfer - using specific software or just transferring the files?
What laptop Operating System (type and version) are you using?

Is your issue that the numbers are not what you expected or that you cannot see the images?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi, The images were transferred off a 5D. I had transferred two other cards hardwired to the computer at the same time and those images show up as expected in the designated folder. After the transfer, I went back to sort and edit and have 1400 that are identified as 101EOS5D numerically in the same folder but when I click to view it asks "how do you want to open this file" and gives Firefox, Notepad,Paint, Internet Explorer, + other non relevant and Imaging Devices Control Pannel which is blank.  Does this help? Sure grateful for your assistance..

Thanks for this information.  Can you please advise what software you used to do the transfer and what OS you are using?  Thanks!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

More, I hooked the 5D to the computer and chose "Imaging device control panel"  The 5D icon shows up.  I hit refresh and nothing happens.I can also prompt a "which camera or scanner do you want to install. "Add device" There is no 5D option but a list of: SCSI, Serial Scanner, USB, WIA, and WSD.? Notation, Manufacturer, Microsoft. From there, I have no clue.

I can also prompt a "look for another app on this pc" but see not appropriate options.

Can you please indicate what file extension you get for the images that are problematic?  The question about what app to use would suggest that computer does not recognize the extension.  I still need to know what O/S  - WIndows 10 or 11 for example?  Are you using File Manager for this?

From a reliability point of view, I strongly suggest doing the following:
1. With the camera turned off, remove the card and put it into a card reader - SD or CF
2. If the unit is attached to your computer, your File Manager should see the card as a drive, so you can select and copy the images to wherever you want on your computer.  That ensures that there is no other program involved in the file transfer process, it saves camera battery capacity and life, and it should be much faster as well.

cheers, TREVOR

Hi, I am trying to help you as best I can. I am not versed in most of this "lingo" It's Windows 10 Home. When I go to properties for the an image it says: Date created 6-4 which is correct but date modified as 5-25? Also, in details for the (an) image (in properties) it says Name: 101EOS5D (2) or (3) or (4)-------> and Type: file. What I have just noticed is in Size it says 0 bytes, Size on disk, 0 bytes which leads me to believe there is no actual image  associated with the  icon. There are no previous versions.What is weird is I transferred two other SD cards off the same camera in the same manner just minutes before. And, they are viable. I think I did something buy accident that destroyed them. I fully expect you to say "it's Kaput" 🙂  Re the card, I "moved" the images off the card. Have reinserted to check and the card is empty. What a bummer.

Sorry to learn this is happening to you.  I was not aware of your level of knowledge with computers.   It would seem that your data card has become corrupted.  You are likely not to be able to retrieve any more files from it.

So, the focus turns to what to do next... First, you can delete all of those files from the computer that cannot be read - they are useless
Next - and you should always do this. Format the camera memory cards in the CAMERA, not the computer.   Never just delete your files off a card, as this can lead to a collection of file errors that will create a situation such as this.

The 5D series usually has dual data cards, you should format both of those clean once you have retrieved your images and loaded them on a computer.  You should find the format command in the camera's Spanner/Wrench section - location in that group varies with specific model.

Other things to be mindful of.  Never turn your camera off or open the card door while the light on the back of the camera is flashing or lit - it means the camera is still saving your images.  Always buy data cards from reputable sources - there are a lot of trash counterfeit cards out there.

I hope this helps!  If you still have questions, I am happy to help, otherwise: if you are ok with this advise and have no further issues, please mark this thread as resolved, so others won't try to post to it.

cheers, TREVOR

HI, so I found the images. I had downloaded them to an adjoining  folder and they were at the bottom. In doing so, I cleaned all the files off the card. In my efforts to find the images, somehow the card was corrupt so it has been disposed of. I have been shooting for 15 years so  I do have some acumen but as things flowed in this exercise, something just didn't add up. I think what really happened was I associated the wrong card with one I had just used. I had been traipsing around the Palouse in the rain for three days and in hindsight, I can see how this might have happened. Anyway, gosh, I am sure grateful for you assistance and attentiveness. Happy Trails, Dan

Announcements