cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the genuine Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM made?

worldtruth
Apprentice

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Country of origin is Japan. But lens parts may come from elsewhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your answer.  Would you happen to know if any of the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STMs say made in Japan or made in USA?  

I only know the two lenses that came with my T5I.  The 18-55 STM was made in Taiwan, and the 55-250 was made in Malaysia. The warranty cards say both Canon USA Inc.  and   Canon Canada Inc. with serial numbers that match the lenses.   

I see the listed price for the 18-135 STM at 549, but online it goes as low as 379.  I checked with one of the dealers and they did say their 18-135 STM offering was made in Taiwan. 

I guess I'm just wondering if the 549 dollar version is any different.  Any ideas?  

Thanks again ebiggs1. 

the 18-135 is made in Taiwan.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm trying to find the serial number to register the lens with Carepak Plus. I've looked at all the posts but I'll be darned if I can find it!  I did find "Made in Taiwan" very faint on the mount.

Ken Rockwell says:

"Laser-engraved into the bottom of the exterior barrel, near the lens mount."

It will be black on black so it may be hard to see.

@gjurrens wrote:

I'm trying to find the serial number to register the lens with Carepak Plus. I've looked at all the posts but I'll be darned if I can find it!  I did find "Made in Taiwan" very faint on the mount.

It is hard to see but it is just to the left of the Zoom Lock switch.

5D3_5055.jpg

Mike Sowsun

You are confusing the "Importer" with the country of manufacture.  No matter where you buy the lens it is made the same.

But Canon USA is the importer and the one that warrants it and services it.  If you got one from another source, although the very same lens, Canon USA won't warranty it.

Canon, as do all the other big makers, have plants or suppliers all over the world but I doubt none are inside the USA.

EB

Further................

Canon makes all the glass and most of the parts for their lenses in Japan. These components are then shipped for assembly at Canon factories employing lower-priced labor in Taiwan.  One factor underlying most assumptions, I assume yours,  is that the Japanese factory and workers have more experience producing lenses and therefore produce higher quality lenses.

Lenses manufactured in Japan are clearly labeled "MADE IN JAPAN" in bold white lettering on the front. It is difficult to determine lenses manufactured in Taiwan, because these units do not clearly show the lettering "Made in Taiwan",

possibly as a means of avoiding customer concern.

Lenses produced in both Japan and Taiwan, the Japanese versions are both rarer and more expensive,

EB

Thanks again, I appreciate the information. Aloha.

Announcements