cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

none

dgwarmyman
Contributor

none

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter is compatible with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, only!

 

I don't think they are out yet anyway.  It is designed for video so I have no interest in one.  Maybe one of the other forum people can enlighten us more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you look at the picture it looks like the PZ-E1 has to make contact with the lens to communicate with it. We have no idea about Canon's plans, but I would guess that most proffessional lenses going forward that might be useful for video would be compatible.


@kvbarkley wrote:

If you look at the picture it looks like the PZ-E1 has to make contact with the lens to communicate with it. We have no idea about Canon's plans, but I would guess that most proffessional lenses going forward that might be useful for video would be compatible.


I disagree, the device appears to be targeted at the amateur film maker, not the professional. I would not expect any lenses other than the current STM zoom lenses to be upgraded for compatibility. 

I will admit it does look pretty hokey with it connecting (by friction!) to the existing zoom ring and all. But does an amateur really need a focus puller?


@kvbarkley wrote:

I will admit it does look pretty hokey with it connecting (by friction!) to the existing zoom ring and all. But does an amateur really need a focus puller?


It is not a focus puller, all the Dual-Pixal AF cameras and STM lenses already do that.
It is an electro-mechanical Zoom Puller. And yes in my opinion it is intended for amateur videographers. 


@TTMartin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I will admit it does look pretty hokey with it connecting (by friction!) to the existing zoom ring and all. But does an amateur really need a focus puller?


It is not a focus puller, all the Dual-Pixal AF cameras and STM lenses already do that.
It is an electro-mechanical Zoom Puller. And yes in my opinion it is intended for amateur videographers. 

One problem with making such judgements is that these days it's about as hard to place videographers on the pro/wannabe/amateur/duffer spectrum as it is to place photographers.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...  the device appears to be targeted at the amateur film maker, not the professional"

 

I agree with Mr Martin.

 

"... in my opinion it is intended for amateur videographers."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!


@kvbarkley wrote:

Here is more info:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos-80D/eos80d-nano-usm.shtml?categoryId=12


That is about the focus motor in the lens not the Canon PZ-E1. The Canon PZ-E1 attaches to the lens to allow electro-mechanical zoom of the lens.

 

The new nano-USM focus motor appears to be a refinement of the existing STM focus motor, which itself was a refinement of the original micro-USM focus motor.

 

A micro USM (Ultrasonic Motor) provides fast, silent AF and full-time manual focusing.

 

STM lenses are named after the Stepping Motor, which lets the lenses focus smoothly and quietly when...

 

Canon L lenses use ring type USM focus motors which are required to move the heavier lens elements smoothly and quickly. 

Announcements