none

dgwarmyman
Contributor

none

13 REPLIES 13

@TTMartin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Here is more info:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos-80D/eos80d-nano-usm.shtml?categoryId=12

That is about the focus motor in the lens not the Canon PZ-E1. The Canon PZ-E1 attaches to the lens to allow electro-mechanical zoom of the lens.

I know, but the article gives a list of bodies that will allow "smooth video focus" which I assume will be required for the PZ-E1.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Here is more info:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos-80D/eos80d-nano-usm.shtml?categoryId=12

That is about the focus motor in the lens not the Canon PZ-E1. The Canon PZ-E1 attaches to the lens to allow electro-mechanical zoom of the lens.

I know, but the article gives a list of bodies that will allow "smooth video focus" which I assume will be required for the PZ-E1.

No those bodies will give smooth video focus with either STM lenses, or the new nano-USM lens, NO PZ-E1 required. The PZ-E1 is for ZOOM not for focus.

Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF Comparison Video (Video Shooting)

We are talking past each other here.

The whole point of this is to turn your camera into a camcorder. Currently, when you zoom the lens it can go out of focus since the focus point might change as you zoom.

If all the PZ-E1 did was allow you to automagically twist the zoom ring, it wouldn't very useful since the camera would go out of focus, or the camera might hunt. I believe the PZ-E1 is tightly coupled to the zoom and focus so that you can zoom and keep things in focus while you are shooting a movie like a camcorder. It acts, as they call it in the movies, as a focus puller, too.

As I said, if you look at the pictures of the PZ-E1, there is an electrical connection between the lens and the unit to allow for tight coupling of zoom and focus.

@kvbarkley wrote:

We are talking past each other here.

The whole point of this is to turn your camera into a camcorder. Currently, when you zoom the lens it can go out of focus since the focus point might change as you zoom.

If all the PZ-E1 did was allow you to automagically twist the zoom ring, it wouldn't very useful since the camera would go out of focus, or the camera might hunt. I believe the PZ-E1 is tightly coupled to the zoom and focus so that you can zoom and keep things in focus while you are shooting a movie like a camcorder. It acts, as they call it in the movies, as a focus puller, too.

As I said, if you look at the pictures of the PZ-E1, there is an electrical connection between the lens and the unit to allow for tight coupling of zoom and focus.

No with the Dual-Pixal AF cameras no special attachement is required for it to maintain focus during zoom. And slow focus pulling from one subject to another is done automatically by the camera. With the 7D Mk II you can set the speed of the focus pull in the camera. I'm assuming that is probably true with the 80D also. The PZ-E1 is not required for this to occur. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements