cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new lens help: 50mm 1.8

annalaube
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I just bought a used 50mm 1.8 from as I wanted to have low depth of field for music videos. I'm having trouble, though, in that the camera is CONSTANTLY refocusing when in movie mode, to the point that autofocus is basically useless. Is there a setting I can change to make this less constant, or is this normal, or is this a malfunciton in the used lens I bought?

Thanks much!
Anna

5 REPLIES 5

ezpop
Rising Star

what is your camera model ?

disable continuous focus in the menu. it's the camera setting causing your lens to keep focusing. probably nothing wrong with your lens.

Hi! Oh wow excited to try this, thank you. I am using a SL1.

hey again,

do you know where continuous focus is located? i'm not seeing it as a menu item when i scroll through the various pages of menus.

thanks much!

I don't know what camera you are using?  I don't shoot video and I really don't know why I even read this thread?

But the mere fact that you have ashallow DOF is going to require more focusing.  And you don't have the best lens in the Canon family to do this.  The lens is probably struggling to keep you in focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

marcosphoto
Contributor

SL1, unfamiliar of the model of which you speak, but canon menus basically all the same.  However auto-focus for video a futile feature - I'm not aware of anyone using SLR for video who uses autofocus.  Best to disable it with the lens and focus manual.  However if autofucus is a must, you should be able to find the focus features in the live-view menu if I recall.  You may be able to select between   A quick search of your manual on-line I found atleast one reference that will help you on page 46-47  "movie shooting".  I'm sure you will find more if you scour through the manual.

Announcements