need advice: Should I invest in efm mount lenses or ef/efs lenses

Supriyo
Contributor

Should I invest in efm mount lenses or ef/efs lenses

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

I responded to your other question about a rumored EOS M50 Mark "III"....

What camera do you have?

If it is one of the Canon DSLRs, then you have to stick with EF/EF-S lenses. EF-M lenses won't fit or work on the DSLRs.

If you have an M-series camera you can either use EF-M lenses made specifically for those cameras, or you can adapt EF/EF-S lenses.

There is quite limited selection of EF-M lenses. Canon has only ever made eight different ones (and one of those was discontinued/replaced). There are a lot of manual focus/manual aperture lenses from third party manufacturers, but only a few with autofocus (three Sigma, three Viltrox, one Tamron). The widest lens with autofocus is 11mm (Canon's EF-M 11-22mm) and the longest telephoto is 200mm (Canon's EF-M 55-200mm or Tamron 18-200mm).

In contrast, EF/EF-S lenses have been around for close to 35 years, there has been a very wide range of models and over 125 million EF/EF-S lenses have been sold by Canon alone. Plus there have been myriad lenses made by 3rd party companies (i.e., Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.)

Something else to consider.... Canon will almost certainly be phasing out both their EOS DSLRs and the M-series mirrorless system. They have been consolidating all their efforts into the R-series and the RF/RF-S lenses those use. EF/EF-S lenses can be adapted for use on those cameras, too. EF-M lenses cannot.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the M-series and EF-M lenses. Alongside my Canon DSLRs I have an EOS M5 and a small group of lenses for use on it. One of my favorites is an EF-M 22mm f/2. I also have been using an adapted EF 85mm f/1.8 USM on it. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Supriyo
Contributor

Buying an  efm lenses is it a wise idea? 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you have an EF-M mount camera and don't plan on upgrading to a different mount then it is probably the best purchase.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Please elaborate it 

Best regards supriyo ahmad 

If yiou plan on upgrading to a Canon EF lens camera in the future then you might want to purchase EF/EF-S lenses and the Canon adapter to mount on your EF-M camera.

If you plan on sticking with the EF-M camera then you probably just want to buy EF-M lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In my experience with my M3 I have found that using EF-M mount lenses require far less power than the larger EF/EF-S mount lenses.   Depending on the lens the difference in battery life can be dramatic, 50-100 shots vs over 300 shots. 

If you have a M Series camera, then I would recommend only buying EF-M lenses.  If you do buy EF mount lenses, then I would advise only buying lenses without AF, strictly manual focus and manual aperture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amfoto1
Authority

I responded to your other question about a rumored EOS M50 Mark "III"....

What camera do you have?

If it is one of the Canon DSLRs, then you have to stick with EF/EF-S lenses. EF-M lenses won't fit or work on the DSLRs.

If you have an M-series camera you can either use EF-M lenses made specifically for those cameras, or you can adapt EF/EF-S lenses.

There is quite limited selection of EF-M lenses. Canon has only ever made eight different ones (and one of those was discontinued/replaced). There are a lot of manual focus/manual aperture lenses from third party manufacturers, but only a few with autofocus (three Sigma, three Viltrox, one Tamron). The widest lens with autofocus is 11mm (Canon's EF-M 11-22mm) and the longest telephoto is 200mm (Canon's EF-M 55-200mm or Tamron 18-200mm).

In contrast, EF/EF-S lenses have been around for close to 35 years, there has been a very wide range of models and over 125 million EF/EF-S lenses have been sold by Canon alone. Plus there have been myriad lenses made by 3rd party companies (i.e., Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.)

Something else to consider.... Canon will almost certainly be phasing out both their EOS DSLRs and the M-series mirrorless system. They have been consolidating all their efforts into the R-series and the RF/RF-S lenses those use. EF/EF-S lenses can be adapted for use on those cameras, too. EF-M lenses cannot.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the M-series and EF-M lenses. Alongside my Canon DSLRs I have an EOS M5 and a small group of lenses for use on it. One of my favorites is an EF-M 22mm f/2. I also have been using an adapted EF 85mm f/1.8 USM on it. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Bought canon efs 10-18mm with an adupter 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As others have observed we lack quite a bit of significant information.

What body or bodies do you have?

What lens or lenses do you currently have?

What subjects do you shoot?  For example, general or street photography.

What does your current lens line-up NOT deliver for you?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements