cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lenses sold in white boxes

scOOCh
Apprentice

Does Canon covers grey market lenses (lenses that comes in white boxes) for repairs? why are they cheaper  (way cheaper) than the one that comes in original box?

How do you read the date code on Canon lenses?

your expertise is greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

cale_kat
Mentor

Grey market goods are not typically covered by the US warranty. Not all white box items are grey market. Refurbished lenses are frequently sold in white boxes and have a refurbished lens warranty. I believe some store have been known to separate body and lens bundles and sell the lenses separately in a white box. Sold as such by an autorized dealer, these should come with a full warranty but don't purchase anything without knowing first.

The retail box version come with the better packaging and a warranty to protect you in case you have problems. These are value added parts/services.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

A "white box" is not necessarily gray market... but gray market isn't covered by warranty (if it is gray market).

Canon imports lenses for sale in various markets.  But sometimes vendors get their own goods and import them on their own (not through Canon) and sell those as "imported".  Those are gray market.

If you live in, for example, the US, then you have to buy gear imported to the US by Canon (you'll see a Canon North America (USA & Canada) warranty card in the box with a pre-printed serial number that matches the S/N on the product.

HOWEVER... sometimes stores have the "kit" version of a camera (body + lens) and they have a buyer who doesn't want the lens... but the store doesn't have a "body only" version to sell them.  So they'll remove the lens and sell just the camera.  That lens can then become a "white box" lens.  e.g. it may have been properly imported and can be covered by warranty but isn't packaged with it's original camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

A "white box" is not necessarily gray market... but gray market isn't covered by warranty (if it is gray market). This is not totally a true statement. Canon USA will not cover the lens if it is (gray market). That means if a repair is needed the lens will need to be boxed up and shipped overseas. That is the huge issue meaning repairs can take months.

Now for the correct answer.

Canon USA is the importer.  They maintain the warranty facilities and other support.

No matter what the box looks like it is made by Canon to exactly the same standards.

White box lenses from “kits” are Canon USA and therefore carry exactly the same warranty.

Gray market lenses do not come through Canon USA. But there seems to be some confusion as to whether Canon USA warrants them or not. They say they don't but I know of folks that have had it done. On camera bodies, too.

B&H and Adorama maintain Canon warranty stations that do gray market service. So, it may be you will need to send a gray market lens back to the store for warranty but not overseas.

My personal advice and recommendation is to buy Canon USA and forgo gray market. My experience with Canon USA and CPS is worth the small extra, if any extra, cost.

Referbs come with a 1 Year Refurbished Limited Warranty 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1, you couldn't be more wrong. There is nothing in your answer that hasn't already been written. Your answer can not be the first correct answer because it isn't the first.

Sorry for any disappointment.

"Sorry for any disappointment."

How about letting the OP decide?

EB

So you're putting down the other replies and you think you're immune to being called a peacock? Will wonders never cease?

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Now for the correct answer.

Canon USA is the importer.  They maintain the warranty facilities and other support.

No matter what the box looks like it is made by Canon to exactly the same standards.

White box lenses from “kits” are Canon USA and therefore carry exactly the same warranty.

Canon makes all the Canon lenses ... there's no dispute there.  But Canon USA doesn't honor warranty or provide service for a "gray" market lens (regardless of packaging).  

White box just means they don't have an original retail box, but you don't neceesarily know "why" they don't have an original retail box.  But splitting the kit into a body-only sale and lens-only sale is one of the most common reasons why they don't have an original retail box.

If a buyer has doubts as to why a lens comes in a "white box", they should ask the seller to explain. 

Lastly... often times the larger stores will claim to provide service on "import" (gray market) goods.  This always makes me a bit nervous.  I'd rather have Caon do the service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,

I know personally of guys that had a non-Canon USA lens and/or a cameras that Canon USA warranted.  It does happen but I did admitt Canon does not publish this.  Perhaps some one else will not be so fortunate.

You do not have to worry about B&H or Adorama, they will do as they say and they have repair sources. Those two stores are also good sources for non-waranty work.

Again it is my advise and recommendation to buy ONLY Canon USA.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements