cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon rf 35mm f/1.4 vcm does not work with double exposure

Cmap278
Apprentice

As the title says, I recently got the 35mm 1.4 vcm and played around with it on my camera and noticed that it won't let me take double exposures. Is this an issue that a will be fixed with a firmware update or something permanent? Why would canon make lenses that don't allow you to use these built in features on their cameras? Any help would be appreciated!! 

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

First to help us to help you, we need to know the camera model you are using, and some details about how the shot was set up - i.e., mode, shutter speed, exposure compensation, aperture, iso for starters.  Have you attempted this type of imagery before, if so with what lens and body, and was that a success?  Please realize that we have absolutely no idea of your experience in photography in general and this type of imagery in particular, so work from that basis.

Exposure is not really set by the lens, it is a function of the camera's exposure metering and controls that simply tell the lens what to set in terms of aperture and focus.  That said, the focusing system in this lens incorporates a very new technology, so there are some unique factors here.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Multiple exposure is not supported on the following cameras.  See below.  Page 20:

rf35-f1.4l-vcm-im.eng.pdf (c-wss.com)

shadowsports_0-1720390136402.png

One of the greatest strengths of this lens is its video capability.  You cannot use the manual iris ring for still photos with some camera.  See page 10 of the user guide. 

When shooting video, a high degree of skill is required.  While you can use the iris adjustment, AF can be difficult since you are changing exposure in real time.  You can use the AF stop button to stop or freeze AF and adjust the iris to keep the focus from hunting.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for that.  Not being familiar with this lens, I was just starting my own research into the optic itself but you have hit the nail on the head right off the bat.  Hats off to you sir!

Not welcome news for our OP, and it's a cautionary tale to us all to read the manual before buying.   I do that for the lenses that I use, which are very different from this one.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Trevor👍  I hadn't done a deep dive on the lens since it became available. 

Gordon Liang did a great video on this lens, comparing it to the EF35mm, and RF35mm STM

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements