cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad copy of canon 100-400 II

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello

I bought a brand new canon lens it turned out to be a grey import as the seller could not provide a vat invoice. I am trying to return it if it can be done delivered to uk address but apparently came from Australia probably from hong kong. the focus is very slow I have done a test video please see the below link and watch it. After watching a review of the lens from another person it seems to me the focus on his lens is quick and my lens is very slow. https://youtu.be/7iOiEbCVNaM

Please let me know what you think any advise would be helpful.

31 REPLIES 31

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have to ask this question before I can understand how better to help.

In your opinion, what is your level of photographic experience?  Novice, amateur, advanced or pro?

From the last series of posts by you, I believe you are not that experienced but I could be wrong.  Anyway let me give this a go.

How fast does the ef 100-400 focus when you don't have it on a camera?  Doesn't focus at all. Does it?  That's because AF is dependent on both the camera and the lens.  Camera first and lens second.  There are so many reasons why your "tests" and most of what you are reading is bogus. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your 100-400.  It's not impossible but highly unlikely anyway.  I think you are chasing your tail.

I may further state if you missed BIF shots it may be your technique and not the gear.  I am not trying to be rude just helping to get you through this.  Doing this as long as I have, I find lenses and gear in general is usually better than the photographer!  I believe this is the case here, also.

I suspect if you get a Tamron or Sigma 150-600, instead, you will be just as dissatisfied.  My advice is stop reading all the lens and gear reviews and start reading how to improve your technique.  Go out and learn your gear. Use it, that's how you get the experience you desire.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Please let me know what you think any advise would be helpful."

It is all about learning your gear and how to best put it to use.   This pretty girl was shot with what many would consider inferior equipment but still the results are pretty nice.

_K2N6629.jpg

Canon 1D Mk II n (8mp) with Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM.  ISO 400, 500mm @ f6.3, 1/1250, pattern.

You asked. Smiley Wink

EB

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

Hello

I bought a brand new canon lens it turned out to be a grey import as the seller could not provide a vat invoice. I am trying to return it if it can be done delivered to uk address but apparently came from Australia probably from hong kong. the focus is very slow I have done a test video please see the below link and watch it. After watching a review of the lens from another person it seems to me the focus on his lens is quick and my lens is very slow. https://youtu.be/7iOiEbCVNaM

Please let me know what you think any advise would be helpful.

Have you tried the lens in real world scenarios?

How does it do shooting birds in flight, or sports?

Is the focus slow then?

p.s. I hope you aren't posting these links to your YouTube videos to just boost your hit count

hi guys

Yes i did go out to a park for a whole day and the focus at 400mm and it lost focus completly even my 300mm f4 with 1.4 converter never did this. I have 3 years of college behind me in photography so have some knoweldge. I have tested the lens a second time today in a studio setting and the focus was all over the place. I watched a review where some one tested the lens and its focusing was like 3 times the speed of my lens I suspect their is some thing wrong with it. even compairing this lens with my 70-200 with a 2x on it focused better than this lens did. Where I find the focus at its worst is at 300 and 400mm in fact from 0.98 to 2m it seems to refuse to focus at all only when I adjust it manually a little does it jump into place.

Thanks for the reply I am testing it both on a 7d and 600d both do the same thing. The seller does not tell you its a grey import the original delivery was from Holland it was delivered from Manchester in the uk  to my address in west yorkshire in the uk but after having these issues I am in the process of trying to get it returned. The seller on ebay has accepted a return but he wants me to return it to hong kong what a load of trouble. The lens came originally from Australia and the box turned up a bit bashed up. What worries me is if I try and return it by TNT would customs come after me as I have a suspicion the seller did not pay import duty or tax. The first time I started having problems was when I asked for a vat receipt.

years ago i used the sigma 70-300 macro apo lens and that was the best len I used photography is an expensive hobby. I started my study in 1998 and learned film before digital came in. I even wrote a 4 book guide on the basics of photography I got most of my knowledge  from a magazine called practical photography as my tutor decided it was acceptable to have a baby and leave the course for a whole year. The college gave us no replacement to cover her.  As such we ended up having temp tutors that were borrowed from the degree course but we had almost no help when we needed it. All the students were really pissed off on my course.

Two things.  I hope you are not using your test from that Youtube video as a final reason to condemn the lens.  It is not a credible test.  Not in the least way.  BTW, comparing it to your 70-200 with a converter on it also not in the least a confirmation either.  These assumptions on your part are one reason I have questioned your experience level.  Still am, BYW.

Second, there is no way I would trust the seller to return your money.  Not in any sort of decency or time frame.  You have listed too many "ah-oh's" for me.  However, you can still get Canon to work on the lens if you still think it to be faulty, which I don't.  The only thing is, you will have to pay for it.  But that may be your least stress driven and cost means to put your mind to rest.

EB

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

Yes i did go out to a park for a whole day and the focus at 400mm and it lost focus completly even my 300mm f4 with 1.4 converter never did this. I have 3 years of college behind me in photography so have some knoweldge. I have tested the lens a second time today in a studio setting and the focus was all over the place. I watched a review where some one tested the lens and its focusing was like 3 times the speed of my lens I suspect their is some thing wrong with it. even compairing this lens with my 70-200 with a 2x on it focused better than this lens did. Where I find the focus at its worst is at 300 and 400mm in fact from 0.98 to 2m it seems to refuse to focus at all only when I adjust it manually a little does it jump into place.

Have you tried manipulating the focus limiter switch? It may be sticking.

@TTMartin wrote:

Have you tried manipulating the focus limiter switch? It may be sticking.

Also be sure you are using the appropriate focus limiter setting for the type of photography you are doing.

QuickGuide to Canon EF Lens Features

Focusing Range Limiter Switch

This switch limits the focusing range of the lens when the lens is in autofocus mode. Because the focusing mechanism in macro and super-telephoto lenses has a relatively long travel distance for, this feature helps shorten the autofocus time and reduce “focus hunting”

"... telephoto lenses has a relatively long travel distance ..."

Big point and just one reason why his "tests" are not revealing any useful information.

EB
Announcements