cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend improving glass before the camera?

ScottS
Enthusiast

Would you recommend improving glass before the camera? My situation is this: I own a Canon 40D, which I purchased very clean from a photographer who was upgrading to the 70D. I own only kit lenses at this point. One of them is the "Nifty Fifty" Canon 50mm 1.8. I can't afford my ultimate dream quite yet of full-frame and L series glass. I think I can begin to either upgrade my lenses or my camera.

My choice right now is between the following scenarios:

Stay with my Canon 40D ~ purchase the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II

Stay with my Canon 40D ~ purchase the Sigma 18-35 MM 1.8 Art Lens

(possibly both of those)

OR

Purchase the Canon 7D Mark II w/ the 18-135 STM Kit Lens

Purchase the Canon 6D w/ the 24-105 f4 Lens

I am leaning toward better glass, because low light, clear, sharp photographs are my goal. Video and sports photography are not what I'm needing now.

I am very open to your thoughts and experience.

Thanks much!

Scott S

85 REPLIES 85

a good trick to get cleaner images on older aps-c camera's (including the 1200d) is to not exceed iso 800 even if you have to under expose 1 or 2 stops, you can fix the image later by adjusting the curves in photoshop or gimp

one of the bonuses is some of the pictures will have higher dynamic range and chance of highlight clipping is greatly reduced that it would if you went around shooting above iso 800

Canon 1100d, Canon EF-M (manual focus film slr), Canon EOS 3, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 55-250/4.0-5.6 IS II, Tamron EF SP 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon EF 28–70/3.5–4.5 II, Canon EF
35-350/3.5-5.6L USM.

Thanks, for the advice. 

I have noticed significant drop-off in image quality when you use the T5 in low light conditions.  I try not to go above ISO-400 with the T5 when I am not using the flash.  When I shoot, I frequently tend to under expose by 1/3 of a stop, just to ensure that I do not clip the dynamic range.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

On behalf of all the people who chimed in with insights and valuable wisdom to me many month ago, I thought I'd share a little update on my purchase.

Just four hours ago, I purchased my very first L glass: the Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS.

Canon Direct had a refurbished copy. It should arrive in the next few days!

Very excited about this. 

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

ScottS

@ScottS wrote:

On behalf of all the people who chimed in with insights and valuable wisdom to me many month ago, I thought I'd share a little update on my purchase.

Just four hours ago, I purchased my very first L glass: the Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS.

Canon Direct had a refurbished copy. It should arrive in the next few days!

Very excited about this. 

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

ScottS

Good choice. It's a very nice lens. It's the one extra lens I normally carry with my 5D3/24-105 combo.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the affirmation on my choice, Bob! I assume you like your 24-105 quite abit :)?

"I assume you like your 24-105 ..."

The Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens is the 'best buy' in "L" glass.  It is likely the first "L" lens that most of us ever had.  I used them for years until I recently sold my last one.  It is getting a little long in the tooth as it has been around for a while now.

White box copies can be found for around $700+ brand new. It is truly a best buy.Smiley Happy

All the lenses in my basic bag are f2.8 so I opted for the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens version.  It is a remarkable lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hey Ernie,

Is that 16-35mm f2.8L II USM the new version? I think I recall reading about an upgrade to the original f2.8.

Scott,

Yes it is.   The (II) in the name tells which version it is, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

I like it almost as much as my EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. I consider it to be the best lens made.  Now I know all the guys with their favs are going ballistic at that but when you consider the entire package it is the best lens made.  This is not a statement to take lightly as I have had the opportunity to try out and use hundreds of lenses.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scott,

Yes it is.   The (II) in the name tells which version it is, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.

I like it almost as much as my EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. I consider it to be the best lens made.  Now I know all the guys with their favs are going ballistic at that but when you consider the entire package it is the best lens made.  This is not a statement to take lightly as I have had the opportunity to try out and use hundreds of lenses.

Why the defensiveness? I can't recall any of us ever disparaging your admiration for the 24-70. I don't happen to have it, because my current requirements don't justify the purchase; but for all I know, it may be the best lens made. I've never claimed otherwise.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"Why the defensiveness?"

Are you sure you read all the posts here? Smiley Surprised

EB
Announcements