cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering how to fix a lens that won't communicate with the camera

jsclingman
Apprentice

Hi! I'm a hobbyist photographer with a Canon Rebel T6 and a regular 18-55mm Canon lens. I was trying to clean the inside of the lens, so I did something that proved to be dumb: I unscrewed the back of my lens and attempted to pry the cover off, thinking I could get to the lens by doing so. Eventually I figured out I couldn't get to the lens via that route, so I screwed it back on and reattached it to the camera. Once I did, I attempted to take a picture, but Err 1 showed whenever I tried, saying that the communications between the lens and the camera were compromised. I've cleaned the lens contacts on both the camera and the lens several times, but all to no avail. So I have two questions:

1. Did I do something to ruin the interior of the lens?
  2. How can I fix what I ruined?

Thank you!

- Josh

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've cleaned the lens contacts on both the camera and the lens several times, but all to no avail."

As you found out that rarely helps or works.

"Did I do something to ruin the interior of the lens?"

Perhaps, as you stated, "I did something that proved to be dumb"

"How can I fix what I ruined?"

It needs to go to Canon for service. Call 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I was trying to clean the inside of the lens,..."

Unless there is a over riding reason, you should never need to clean the inside of your lens.  If for some reason that does need to be done it needs to be done by Canon. You can get yourself a Rocket Blower which should remove any dust that may have gotten inside. The inside glass elements should not be touched.

EB

Thank you! I may just get a new lens. Methinks I've learned my lesson. XD

If someone can figure this out, then maybe I can adapt the solution to help me make my step-daughter actually communicate with me! Smiley Frustrated

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"... then maybe I can adapt the solution to help me make my step-daughter actually communicate with me!"

Denatured alcohol and a q-tip didn't work? 

EB
Announcements