cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wide angle lens to buy? I have a 1D Mark iii and a 60D

Martie333
Apprentice

I have a 1D Mark iii and a 60D and would like to buy a wide angle lens that I could use for the following:

Indoor photos of rooms in homes

landscape when traveling 

fun photos with high school senior, not for portrature, for photos or their car or them in landscapes

I already own the follwoing canon lens:

70-200mm

24-105mm 

I have never owned a wide lens before and don't really know much about them.

Thank you!!!

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You want to be looking at either the 16-35 or 17-40 lenses.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As recommended above or the Sigma 12-24. Just take into account that as you go really wide things on the edges get a bit distorted when shooting relatively close, and the wider the lens the more that happens.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I don't know of any lenses that would be wide angles on both of your cameras. I'd forget the 60D and get the 16-35mm f/4L IS for your 1D3. It's very sharp and exhibits relatively little wide-angle distortion.

For your 60D the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 has a good reputation, but frankly I found mine to me a tad soft. (Probably I should have tried to micro-adjust it.) I ended up giving it to my wife for her T2i and bought the Canon 16-35 for my 5D3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That Tokina is a crop body only lens if I remember right while the Sigma 12-24 works on crop & full frame, and I think I get less distortion from it than my 17-40 in the range they both cover.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Martie333 wrote:

I have a 1D Mark iii and a 60D and would like to buy a wide angle lens that I could use for the following:

Indoor photos of rooms in homes

landscape when traveling 

fun photos with high school senior, not for portrature, for photos or their car or them in landscapes

I already own the follwoing canon lens:

70-200mm

24-105mm 

I have never owned a wide lens before and don't really know much about them.

Thank you!!!

One lens really won't work for both cameras.

For your 60D get the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens. It is an amazing value, it matches the IQ of the more expensive EF-S 10-22, but, adds image stabilization for dark interior achetecture shots (think churchs and museums). And it is bargain priced for its level of image quality like all the STM lenses.

For your 1D Mk III just read through the other posts.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What I want to know is why in heaven are you using a 60D and a fantastic camera like the 1D Mk III together?  Go with the Mk III and get the 17-40mm or the 16-35mm.

IS may be of little to no help on this wide of a lens.  I don't have oen and I don't miss it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I have a 1D Mark IV and a Rebel Ti5. There are times when the Mark IV is just overkill.

Maybe the OP feels the same.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Maybe the OP feels the same."

Yes, it takes all types.  Not my cup of tea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements