cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Lens To Buy for my Canon 70D?

PhotoBug7
Contributor

Hello Canon Community,

I am new to the forum and already had my question answered regarding Image Stabilization.  So after getting some feedback on that here is my dillema.  I am in need of a 70-200 2.8 lens with image stabilzation.  As much as I'd love to buy the Canon IS II USM for $2000, I just cant spend that much right now.  So, I am looking at reccomendations for these 2 other alternatives:

The Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC USD for $1,500 or

The Sigma APO 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM for $1,150

Someone on the forum said that the Sigma was not weather sealed and vulnerable to dust and moisture.  I dont know??? I'm usually very protective of my lenses.  If its raining, I shut it down and cover my stuff up. 

Is it worth it to spend $350 more for the Tamron.  Or, is that weather seal a big deal, or was this just some person being picky or biased.

THANKS for the help!!

32 REPLIES 32

ScottyP
Authority

I would not make this decision based primarily on weather sealing, which is a very loose term in any event.  Your camera is not one of the most heavily "weather sealed" so putting a weather sealed lens on it will not necessarily do a lot of good anyway.

I would base it on optical quality, as the price is only a few hundred dollars apart. 

That said, using the highly useful side by side lens image quality comparison tool on The Digital Picture website, the Tamron seems to kick the Sigma's glass at both 70 and 200 millimeters, both in center and at the edges.  The Sigma may do better with chromatic aberration in the corners on the long end but that is not a big thing, and it is easily fixable in Lightroom. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Well there you go.  Thanks.  That makes sense.  Didnt even think that the camera wouldnt be weather sealed.  As far as optical quality, not sure if there is really going to be a huge difference in the Tamron and the Sigma.  Maybe someone out there without a biased opinion knows.  Love the "fer-tographer" comment.  Ha ha ha ha!  You are absolutely right!

THANKS!!

I've never owned a Tamron but their recent lenses have really gotten very good reviews.  I love my Sigma 35mm Art lens, but the Sigma 70-200 has not yet gotten the Art (or Sport?) "Global Vision" redesign. 

There won't be more than one or two, or probably none on the site who actually have both lenses. You might get some strong opinions from folks who have just one or the other but that is not really the way to get a confident handle on the answer.  Even if you do get an anecdotal opinion from someone who has tried both, a verbal description of image quality is by definition somewhat less than conclusive when trying to make a purchase decision. 

I'd advise you to personally try both and see what your own eyes tell you.

Maybe you have a good camera store near you where you can try them.

If not you could rent both from Lens Rentals or another outlet.

Failing that, the lens comparison tool on TDP I mentioned above really is very helpful, and in this case I was surprised to see the difference was quite pronounced and the Tamron looks clearly better.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have all three of the lenses you are interested in. Of course you already know the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is not just the best of these, it is the best lens made.  Probably why it cost two grand. Right?

With the Tamron you need to make sure you get this one, Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon.  Tamron has made several versions of this lens.  The one I listed is the best (A009).  The naming is similar so make sure it has this exact naming.  It  is an outstanding lens. 

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Canon is the one you want from Sigma.  Now for the straight skinny on these.  The Canon is tops we know that but I doubt you can tell the difference between the Siggy and Tamron.  That is a 'your choice' situation'.  Pick the one you like.

Personally I would go for the Tamron if given the choice but I could love, and do, either.  There is no good reason not to save the money and go Sigma if you find it cheaper.

There used to be a third choice and if you can find one, it is the one I would prefer for a 70D. It is the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO.  It just works great on a crop camera.  It gives you the same AOV that FF owners enjoy with their 70-200's.

As a general rule, SIgma makes the best third party lenses.  Tamron is second and Tokina is, well, be careful there.  But even Tokina has a couple gems. The Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens is one but that a different story.

The major drawbacks to owning the Sigam or Tamron is they are not built as well. Not weather sealed as well. They do not have Canon CS behind them.  Sigma has gotten better.  Tamron is trying. Tokina forget it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, BTW, although you didn't ask, the choice of a 24-70 is less difficult.  Hands down the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens for Canon.  If you can't handle the two grand for the real deal Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. Which, IMHO, is the best lens made, period.  If I could own only one lens, no more, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens would be it.

EB

"Of course you already know the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is not just the best of these, it is the best lens made."

" If you can't handle the two grand for the real deal Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. Which, IMHO, is the best lens made, period."

--------------------------------------------------

I like reading his posts.  Because both of those lenses are truly great.  Just to clarify the apparent contradiction.  The lenses are the best in their respective ranges.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Of course you already know the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is not just the best of these, it is the best lens made."

" If you can't handle the two grand for the real deal Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. Which, IMHO, is the best lens made, period."

I like reading his posts.  Because both of those lenses are truly great.  Just to clarify the apparent contradiction.  The lenses are the best in their respective ranges.

<chuckle!> Yeah, I saw that contradiction too, but was too lazy to point it out.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Waddizzle wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

<chuckle!> Yeah, I saw that contradiction too, but was too lazy to point it out."

You guys are really too much.  You must have not much to do except dissect my posts  Believe me there is more to life than that. Ok for the ones of you that don't comprehend well, here it is. "the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is not just the best of these, it is the best lens made."  Indicates it is the best lens in the 70-200 class.  "...the best of these,..."  There happens to be several other lens in this category form other makers like Nikon and Sony, etc.   OK, is that clear enough?Possibly your experience doesn't extend that far so I understand your confusion.

On the other hand the "Period" suggests the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II USM is the best lens on the market.  Bar none. This considers the entire package and what it is capable of. Not just a single spec. OK?

Now go back wipe the sleep from your eyes and get another cup of coffee. I do hope the rest fo your day is not so confusing. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

@"Waddizzle wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

<chuckle!> Yeah, I saw that contradiction too, but was too lazy to point it out."

You guys are really too much.  You must have not much to do except dissect my posts  Believe me there is more to life than that. Ok for the ones of you that don't comprehend well, here it is. "the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is not just the best of these, it is the best lens made."  Indicates it is the best lens in the 70-200 class.  "...the best of these,..."  There happens to be several other lens in this category form other makers like Nikon and Sony, etc.   OK, is that clear enough?Possibly your experience doesn't extend that far so I understand your confusion.

On the other hand the "Period" suggests the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II USM is the best lens on the market.  Bar none. This considers the entire package and what it is capable of. Not just a single spec. OK?

Now go back wipe the sleep from your eyes and get another cup of coffee. I do hope the rest fo your day is not so confusing. Smiley Happy

ICYMI    "The lenses are the best in their respective ranges."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements