cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which EF lenses still hold up best against RF?

quant
Apprentice

Normally my laptop just take about 5-7s to boot up. Since i tried to install hackintosh but not success, the laptop taking longer than usual (About 30s) to get to the loading circle. Did i mess something up. Glad to get some help from expert About to pull the trigger on a new R6 Mark II and while I have very old copies of the staple EF lenses (24-70 I, 70-200 I, etc) I'm looking at upgrading those. I have my eye on a used RF 50 1.2 at an amazing price, but I know the newer versions of EF lenses still hold their own pretty well against the newer RF. I shoot mostly family portraits and weddings, though I do landscape for fun. I also will be using a 5D3 as my backup or second camera (for weddings) so I can't move 100% to RF.

So while I want to splurge on the RF 50 1.2 for that amazing portrait look which will get used a lot, which EF lenses in your mind still look amazing even compared to the new RF lenses? I'm thinking maybe upgrade to the 70-200 II, but what other used/non-RF lenses should I look at that you love? Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Older EF lenses DO NOT support the very advanced level AF systems found in the EOS R series camera lineup. They don't have the hardware to support it. Certain features WILL NOT be available to use. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It's possible to use EF lenses on a mirrorless body via adapter, but the best performance will be achieved with RF lenses.  

If you have made the decision to upgrade to mirrorless, if suggest RF glass. I'd recommend using your older lenses on your backup DSLR, and RF glass for the R62.  Many business expenses are tax deductable.  Something else to consider.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements