cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the 75-205 f3.5 ok for concerts? 24-70 f2.8 alternatives? Current gear specs below

zilonsio
Apprentice

3.8 not 3.5..

I'm looking to upgrade my 80D to an EOS R. I currently use the 10-22 f/4 and they're turning out pretty ok (I can link a few for reference) but I was able to find a 24-70mm f2.8 for a reasonable price (I'm a college student funding my own studies.. 1500 for a lens is a lot)

but I saw a few people selling their 75-205 f3.8 for rather cheap, so I can keep using the 10-22 with an adapter and add a 75-205 on top.

Any thoughts? Any alternatives to the 24-70mm?

4 REPLIES 4

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I have not used that lens, but there is a review at: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4664184 

For me, I would not have considered the EOS R an upgrade to my EOS 80D. I have used Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens with my EOS 80D and consider it a very good lens. I bought the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for use with my EOS 80D and still use it sometimes on my EOS R5. (The EOS R5 is an upgrade from the EOS 80D, but is more expensive than the EOS R)

Have you considered the EOS R10 as a replacement for the EOS 80D? With an adapter you could continue to use the lens you already have.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think the first thing you can do to help us is provide a budget.  

Your 80D supports lenses with EF mount. EF and EF-S lenses can be used. 

The vivitar 75-205 f3.8 has an FD Mount.  This predates EF and belongs in a museum.  It's not a viable option.  Don't bother with it.  

A mirrorless body uses RF Mount lenses, but you can also use EF mount lenses with an adapter.  

As nice as a new camera, might be, a new lens might actually be all that you need.  The EF-S 18-135 (what John Moyer mentioned) would work quite nicely with your 80D.  Depending on your budget, we may have other recommendations.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" As nice as a new camera, might be, a new lens might actually be all that you need."

I think you are headed down the wrong road, too. A new lens may be the answer. But if you go R series go RF series lenses. The 24-70mm f2.8 is a fine idea. Perhaps the best idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What doesn't the 80D do for you? I.e., why do you need an upgrade?

I would just stick with the 80D until you have a source of income.

Announcements