cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good focal length for landscape panorama?

dinghankar
Apprentice

I have a m50mk2 with all efm 15/45, 22, 55/200 lenses. As we know too wide of a focal length will cause distortion the landscape and if I go too high of a focal length I will loose the landscape outside the zoom edge or I'll have to take more photos to cover the same area with a wide focal length. So what's the optimism focal for minimum landscape distortion?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When it comes to photography, there is no “one size fits all” solution to anything.  For example, imagine asking an experienced painter what is the best color to use paint a pla escape.  

You can use almost any focal length you wish for a panorama, provided you’re not trying to use a wide angle focal length.  It all depends upon your desired result and what tools you have available.

I often capture landscape panoramic shots.  I use a full frame camera body.  My favorite lens is my 70-200mm, mainly because of the tripod foot.  I can roll the camera to portrait mode on a tripod without the need for a cumbersome L-Bracket.  I shoot most of my panos in portrait mode.

I believe this was (8) shots at 70mm.  This portion of the bridge span is over two miles long.

E2414AC3-9D0A-432A-84A2-41571C69883D.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree any FL can do landscapes or panos. Use what works and it looks like you have a decent selection of FL to choose from. I disagree that a too wide or even a wide angle adds unwanted distortion to a landscape or pano shot.

Check this out. Photo shot with a 15mm lens.

IMG_2025.JPG

This is a pano shot with a 70mm lens but in the vertical position. It is 5 separate shots.

_OS13647.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Waddizzle, interested that you use the portrait setting for landscape. Mind sharing why? Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

It will ultimately depend upon what your desired final result will be.

However, for a single row (horizontal) panorama, you’ll end up with a large amount of horizontal pixels. If you shoot with a a landscape orientation, you’d not be maximizing the vertical resolution. So you capture images in portrait orientation.

It’s less of an issue when capturing multi-row panoramas.  However, there may still be advantages with either orientation.

I’ve done the following two types of panos producing a person’s portrait. First, a single column of 3 images captured in horizontal orientation.  Then 9 images (3 x 3 matrix) captured in vertical orientation.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with Bill (Waddizzle) on this.  The following panorama was taken with a Canon EOS 60D and the EF-S 15-85mm, using a focal length of 33mm (which is around 50mm Equivalent), so about what is considered normal Field of View.
f/10, 1/320sec, ISO-200f/10, 1/320sec, ISO-200

It was created using about 9 images, shot in landscape mode, each overlapping about 30%.  Having decided on the focal length, aperture and ISO, I took a range of exposure settings across the range and then set the camera on manual using the average shutter speed of those settings.  I looked for any moving elements in the panorama and would shoot in the opposite direction, so they would not 'double dip' into to side by side images.
I put the selection together in post using Photoshop's panorama tools.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was created using about 9 images, shot in landscape mode, each overlapping about 30%."

Mostly this problem as I see it is if you use landscape orientation you wind up with a pano that is very long and very short. The ratio is screwed up. I guess if you like long skinny pictures it is fine. But you can easily end up with a 24" x 4" picture for example. Just an example not an etched in stone size.

That's why I shoot panos in portrait orientation.

EB

How nice for you!  .  One of the joys of photography is that people see and create images differently.  I'm dreadfully sorry that my image didn't conform to your ideal, but I wanted the image that I got Ernie and so did the client, which was the Victoria Tourist Board that used it as a banner picture across the back of their service desks for visitors and was also on their letterhead.
So, much depends on the desired outcome, but the principle of how the picture was taken is absolutely valid.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Trevor man you need to chill. It’s an opinion not a condemnation. Folks have different tastes and if it offends you to hear mine, I won’t comment on your posts any longer. Glad your client loved it.

EB

Yes Ernie, that would be fine by me.

cheers, TREVOR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements