cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Canon lenses are best for use on Safari in Kenya?

garymak
Enthusiast

What Canon lenses are best for use on Safari in Kenya?  I am looking for advice based on experience, specifically in Africa, preferably Kenya, on a safari.   ("Experience" means you have first-hand knowledge of the tight spaces and even tighter weight restrictions on in-country flying, which means you have to carefully choose your equipment given these restrictions.)

Body is the R5, and if I can, 5D MKIII as back up.

What would experienced people recommend? 
1) Lenses I will bring:
- 16mm pancake (tiny, no weight consideration, and needed for those open plains shots...)
- 24-240mm ƒF4-6.3 IS (not an "L" but good range for travel)
- graduate ND 8 square glass filter for quick holding and eliminating time screwing round filters on and off
- polarizers

2) Lenses I can also bring given the above:
- EF 100-400mmL ƒ/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (+RF adapter)
- RF 600mm ƒ11 IS
- RF 70-200mmL ƒ4 IS

4) For accessories I will bring:
- unfilled bean bag - will scrounge around for beans or something to fill it with since we're dealing with weight restrictions
- Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod
- large nylon drawstring bags to put camera in on Land Rover outings.
- WANDRD PRVKE Lite Photography Bag (small, expandable, backside opening, comfortable, waterproof-ish)

5) For accessories what about:
- monopod (I've heard a tripod is impractical and the small Manfrotto works well most of the time and if I need height, I'll find something to put it on)

So, thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, tips, tricks, considerations, recommendations, and considerations... Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

The doohickey...

Your RF 600mm f/11 lens has a tripod foot, but it's not on a collar that can be rotated. So if you wish to take a portrait-format photo, you'll need to use your tripod's head to rotate the camera/lens combination. Users of Canon's 'big white' lenses with proper tripod collar can simply slacken the collar clamp, rotate the lens in its collar, and re-clamp.

The illustrated doohickey is a third-party item, there are several versions available (check out Amazon) and they screw to your lens's tripod foot and provide an Arca-compatible foot, but also a second one at right angles, so you can release your lens from your Arca quick-release shoe and re-mount it on the other foot for portrait pics.

I have one mounted to my RF 800mm f/11 which is slightly different to the illustrated one, in that its 'main' Arca-compatible foot is longer, so I can slide it along the quick-release shoe to obtain optimum balance of my camera/lens combination. This is helpful when I'm using a gimbal head.

Arca L bracket.jpg

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

robinh12
Apprentice

You are correct. Was being reserved. I had no idea single-use plastic bags had been prohibited since 2017. However, it appears that they still have a plastic problem. I'd be wary of taking a 5D3 on safari, but if this is your backup camera, it'll suffice. It is powered by the same battery as your R5 (good). Taking two bodies is a difficult decision. If something happens to the R5, everything is lost.

@robinh12 wrote:

You are correct. Was being reserved. I had no idea single-use plastic bags had been prohibited since 2017. However, it appears that they still have a plastic problem. I'd be wary of taking a 5D3 on safari, but if this is your backup camera, it'll suffice. It is powered by the same battery as your R5 (good). Taking two bodies is a difficult decision. If something happens to the R5, everything is lost.

Random?  I think maybe you mis-quoted me?  Does this mean we'll get a malicious link in your signature shortly?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

" I'd be wary of taking a 5D3 on safari" - could you expand on this a little?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@joeySnaps described it perfectly.  The RF 100~400, 600 and 800 non L's don't come with cases, hoods or collars.  They are great lenses, affordable and great for travel.  

@garymak, you would probably only need the adapter if you wanted quick on/off.  I don't think you will do a lot of vertical shooting.  Maybe a simple arca plate for it instead.  (like the rest of your gear)

The 24-240 remails a good choice as it might eliminate the need to bring (24-105 and 70-200).  Even at 240 f6.3 you can still get an adequate amount of background blur behind your subject.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ddronron
Apprentice

Thanks so much for your thorough advice.  Given your experience, would the 100-400 mm Canon lens  be the best to take on safari (90% usage )if I don't want to change lenses   I'm thinking my phone can take any shots needed that are close.  

Announcements