cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding Shoot lens advice

mstu33
Contributor

Hello! I'm shooting a wedding in January. I shoot events and general journalistic style shots for my day job, and am shooting this wedding as a side gig. I am not a full-time professional wedding photographer. I primarily shoot the Canon R6 with a 24-105L f4 which I love. For the wedding, I would like to rent a lens. It will be outdoors with a barn reception.

Option 1: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2L IS, Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT

Option 2: RF Wedding package on Lensrentals

Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS

Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS

Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM

Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT

Option 3: No rentals and shoot with the current lens I have. (24-105L f4)

Any advice for me? Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Easy choice. Option 1 at a minimum.

You can add an 85 or 100 for portraits.

If you will also be shooting video, then the 15~35 and 35mm f1.8 will come in handy. for shooting video indoors.

I'm not a wedding photographer, but shooting in rooms with high ceilings and low or subdued light can be tricky. I suggest you test all of the equipment before the wedding day.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If you're not already following "Matt WhoisMatt Johnson" on YouTube, you might want to check him out. He talks a lot about lenses etc.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You may want to consider renting a second R6. One could have either the 24-70 or 70-200 permanently mounted. And the other would be the one where you swap out various lenses on.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

amfoto1
Authority

RS-EOS gives you good advice. I would NEVER shoot a wedding without at least two cameras. There are no "do overs" with weddings. If anything happens (and something nearly always does) and you are unable to keep shooting, it will be a disaster.

The easiest way to shoot with two cameras is to use two identical models. With a pair of R6 you're familiar with them and can do the same major settings on both, if you wish. Switching between them will be "seamless".

The most valuable "tool" at any wedding is a shot checklist. Sit down with the bride and groom (and anyone else involved in the wedding who wants to give input) to put together a written list of "must have" shots. This will be your guide on the day to make sure things go as planned, that you get all the shots they want. If they have a wedding planner, that person may have some suggestions as well. Search online for examples of wedding shot lists, for ideas. You also might want to talk with whoever is officiating and/or the folks in charge of the venue, to see if there are any restrictions on shooting (such as no shooting or no flash during the actual ceremony).

It also can be very useful to visit the venue(s) in advance... to see where there may be some photo ops, check out the lighting.

As much as possible, use gear familiar to you. There are different styles of wedding photography... hopefully the B&G will tell you what they want and it will be something you're comfortable with, such journalistic style. Maybe black & white? (Don't shoot B&W. Convert color images in post processing. That way you can still produce a color image, if someone asks for it. Converting in post also gives more control over the results.)

Zoom lenses can give nice versatility... but primes can be two or more stops faster and able to render "dreamier" background blur effects, if that's what the B&G want. Some "duplication" or "overlap" of lens focal lengths can be useful if one or another fails for some reason.

If you will be using flash, be sure you have at least two and be sure to have plenty of extra batteries! Of course, extra batteries and plenty of memory cards for your cameras, too.

Yeah, as Shadowsports suggests, I'd sure want an 85mm, 100mm or 135mm "portrait" lens in my bag, too. In fact, weddings are one of the few places I like having a 50mm (on full frame like R6). It's not my favorite focal length for a lot of things, but comes in very handy for full length portraits of the couple, small groups. Sometimes a short telephoto can't be used in a cramped space. Plus a 50mm minimizes "wide angle effects" that can mess up portraiture (but it's still possible if used too close).

A shot checklist and visit to the venue(s) will really help you narrow down the lenses you'll need.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@mstu33,

Take Ricky and Alan's advice over mine. 2nd camera, yes. Wedding shot checklist, yes.

Now you have a (failsafe) back up and are setting expectations. Sure the portrait lenses I suggested are good, but your day is sure to be successful following their advice. Last item on your list, shoot with (multiple sets) of dual memory cards all day. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have shot hundreds of weddings. 😊 "Option 3: No rentals and shoot with the current lens I have. (24-105L f4)" Option 3 will do just fine if you add another camera. No flash it will only complicate things. You will also need multiple memory cards at least six and don't fill each one to capacity. Use one or two for the 'getting ready', two or three for the ceremony and one or two for the reception. Losing a shot or shots is not acceptable.

Shoot Raw always shoot Raw. No jpg needed.You have Photoshop, I guess? " It will be outdoors with a barn reception." Just did that!

First look.

111.jpg

Try to get unposed "posed" shots, too.

333.jpg

Weather can be an issue so hope for the best.

222.jpg

Beside your gear I suggest you have a force majeure clause signed before the wedding especially if you are getting paid and it is not a freebie and extra especially if it is for strangers and not friends.

I also take a laptop and an assistant with their own camera/lens.

" I'd sure want an 85mm, 100mm or 135mm "portrait" lens..."

You do not need these as your 70-200mm f2.8 covers those focal lengths. You are not in a studio, you are shooting a wedding. One last tip KISS (keep it simple), Don't try to over complicate by adding a bunch of gear you won't need or use. The backup camera does need to have its own lens, however.

Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, BTW, I did run into a disagreeable priest one time and had to shoot the entire ceremony from the very back part of the church. I had my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens on a Manfrotto tripod. I knew this going in as he told me if he could tell I was there he was kick me out. So it is always good to meet with the person doing the ceremony to find out what if any restrictions there will be.

This is not limited to just a persnickety priest because even judges and JP's can have some odd rules for photographers. Get the force majeure!

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If anything happens (and something nearly always does) and you are unable to keep shooting, it will be a disaster."

"Anything" happening should be a rare to very rare occurrence. If it is not and it, "nearly always does", you are not prepared.

If it is an "Act of God", like a power outage, severe storm, stroke, heartattack, etc. These are known as force majeure clauses an why you need one in your wedding contract with the couple.

EB

LilyGrant
Apprentice

Your Canon R6 paired with the 24-105L f4 is a solid choice, but it's wise to consider rental options for added versatility.
Option 1, with the Canon RF 24-70mm f/2L IS and RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, sounds like a great combo. These lenses offer flexibility, and the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT can be a lifesaver for lighting in different scenarios.
Option 2, the RF Wedding package on Lensrentals, is pretty comprehensive. It covers various focal lengths, giving you room to experiment and get creative. You might also want to check out the-wedding-videographer.co.uk for extra tips and gear advice.
Option 3, sticking with your trusty 24-105L f4, can still deliver stunning results, especially if you're comfortable with its capabilities. Your familiarity with the lens could work to your advantage.

Announcements