cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Firmware on RF 70-200 L IS USM - "No Accessory Attached"

tomoelschlaeger
Apprentice

Updating firmware on RF 70-200 L IS USM to version 1.1.1

Received notice from Canon to update firmware. Downloaded files from Canon site. Followed instructions (twice). Camera, R5C, returns the following message..."No accessory attached for the firmware update."

I was unable to find a solution on my own. Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tomoelschlaeger
Apprentice

I discovered the source of my problem. The provided instructions only indicate to use a memory card to upload the new firmware to the lens via the camera body. I have an R5C camera. Apparently, it is necessary with this camera to use only the SD card to upload firmware updates. I was using the alternate CF Express card. Following the Canon provided procedure, but using the SD card, worked on the first try.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings @tomoelschlaeger,

While you are welcome to keep the FW on your lenses current, please know that our R5C's do not support "Focus Breathing Correction" and thus will not benefit by having the FW supporting this option.  

shadowsports_0-1672783870642.png

I have not tried updating any of my lenses.  If I can find some time I'll try one this week and report back.  

One other thing that may be important.  Were you in Photo Mode or Cinema Mode when you attempted the update?  FW updates for the R5 C are always done in Cinema Mode, however I have not tried doing a lens FW update as yet.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

tomoelschlaeger
Apprentice

@shadowsports, thanks for the response. It's interesting that you said firmware updates for the R5C are always done in Cinema Mode because the instructions provided with the lens firmware update included this.....

"*For digital cinema cameras, turn the camera on in Camera Mode."

Based on the new information you provided, I attempted the firmware update with the camera in Video Mode. Navigating to the firmware update page showed that my lens firmware version is 1.0.8, but the parameter was not selectable, so not able to update via that path. I do appreciate your help, though. Thank you.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Any updates on this?  Forgive me.  Have been busy with work, and storms in the bay area.  We have had lots of rain here 🌧  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I don't have any new information, and decided not to do the same thing repeatedly and hoping for different results. I am certain that I followed the referenced instructions, but something must be missing or incorrect in the procedure, as described.

Thanks for asking, though.

tomoelschlaeger
Apprentice

I discovered the source of my problem. The provided instructions only indicate to use a memory card to upload the new firmware to the lens via the camera body. I have an R5C camera. Apparently, it is necessary with this camera to use only the SD card to upload firmware updates. I was using the alternate CF Express card. Following the Canon provided procedure, but using the SD card, worked on the first try.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is good news and helpful.  Its likely the R5 C is going to get Lens Breathing Correction for video in an upcoming update.  I have always used my SD card for updates.  Someone posted yesterday about trying from their CF Express B card on their R5.  Failed until he put it on an SD card.

Unlike the R5 C's update instructions, the lens update doesn't specify an SD card and also states "* Compatible with cameras that supports focus breathing correction."  This made it appear the lenses would simply ignore body's without the feature.  I should have thought to ask if you were using an SD card.  I only assumed you were.  Now we know.  😉

Download and Installation Instructions Firmware Version 1.1.4 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Adds the ability to correct focus breathing during movie recording.
* Compatible with cameras that supports focus breathing correction.

Your post is likely to help others.  Myself included.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements