cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel with RF 24-240 vs RF 24-105 f4 ?

megumi35
Apprentice

Traveling to New Zealand and Fiji, combination of hotels and a camper van. Mostly focusing on close up nature shots, hopefully some wildlife, and landscape photos. So outside for the most part with an R7 body. Also an iPhone 15 pro.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Do you own these lenses and are trying to decide which one to bring or are you looking to make a purchase?  

What lenses do you own now and what are you planning to take with you?  

Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM vs Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Detailed Lens Comparison (cameradeci...

The biggest differentiators between the two lenses are weather sealing and the constant aperture of the 24-105.

From a travel perspective the 24-240 is more versatile.  It might be my choice if I didn't want to carry a lot of gear.  I just went to Alaska and carried 4 lenses.  Last year I did Europe with 2 lenses.  It depends on what you own now and how much space you have.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Megumi and welcome to the forum:

I live in New Zealand and can assure you that if you want a single lens that will offer you the most flexibility, then the RF 24-240 is a great choice with your R7 body.   Most of the wildlife in NZ is birds, and when one wants close-up shots of those, then a super telephoto lens is helpful, but if you intend to take one lens only, then the 24-240 is a good option.

We don't have an idea of budget, but if you had a big enough budget, you could go for a two-lens solution: a 24-105 f/4 and either the RF 100-400 or RF 100-500L (which is a magnificent lens).

If you wish to let me know when you will be here, I would be happy to give you some ideas of what to shoot and where to go.  Just PM me, and we will go from there.

Cheers: Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Trevor,

Glad you jumped in.   I was going to suggest that the OP reach out to you for destination recommendations.   

Not sure what *she has yet gear wise except for *her R7.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick.
Thanks for you input.  I think we are both on the same page. BTW, Megumi is a Japanese female name. 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements