cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck 100-400mm IS ii

MichaelLichtman
Contributor

While shooting today at 400mm,I was unable to retract the zoom to under approximately 280mm   I tried taking the body off, turning the IS, AF, etc off but nothing   It glides easily from 400>280 the abruptly stops   I looked through the back of the lens and felt for any obstruction but there isn’t one  I tried adding my 1.4x tc but no change   The lens is operating perfectly at 280-400   What should I do?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you tried tilting the lens at different attitudes?  Is anything loose or rattling around?  Don't force the lens to zoom or MF.  If you cannot move the zoom with normal (gentle) firm twist, the lens should go to Canon for inspection.

MyCanon 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What could possibly be wrong ?  I’m shooting pictures of burrowing owls in FL and zooming in and out, all of a sudden, I couldn’t retract the lens   

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums1

The lens has a friction adjustment.  Have you tried to adjust it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes  I can control the tightness from 280-400mm, I just can’t get it to close lower than 280mm

Announcements