cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600MM SPORTS OR C

ABBOTALE
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS 1D MK11 and a EOS IDS MK11 and have been usinig a Tamrom 150-600mm mk1 which is rubbish slow AF Out of focus was informed not to use single focus point ??? Are the sigmas any better many thanks Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ABBOTALE wrote:

Many thanks for your post the was new in 2014 i got it second hand i read a comment on the Fred Miranda webpage that these lenses were designed for more modern dslrs ie 7dmk11 5dmk3 etc .

There were quite a few post about the lens hunting and freezing which mine does it focuses on large subjects fine and is very good upto 400mm He suggested not to use single point and to expand.

Contacts are clean just hoping things will improve in the spring summer when weget better light

You should always turn off VR and that usually solves the problem.  I always use a center point with 8 surrounding point for action shooting and it has not been a problem.  It should work well with just a single point but I haven't tried it.

I routinely shoot mine at 600mm with satisfactory results which I think is decent enough - take a look at my Flickr album for the lens via the link below my signature  (any less I would use my 100-400mm vers. II).

Regarding the Sigma - if I didn't have the Tamron already, I'd get the C version.  I think it's slightly better than the Tamron (but not enough to get it).  I also read that the Sports is much better built and sealed but the IQ is roughly the same as the C version and it's a whole lot heavier and more expensive.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Steve, I have all three.  I use all three.  Without doubt the "S" is the best one.  I don't know that you will  see a significant improvement in AF speed with it, though.  It is better, no doubt but is it a grand better?

IQ wise they are all very similar.  Keep in mind the "S" is very big and it is very heavy.  If I were to buy one today, knowing what I do, I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

"...slow AF Out of focus was informed not to use single focus point ..."

I don't understand that?  I use single, center focus point most of the time.  I have a 1D Mk IIn.  It works fine albiet AF is not a speed demon!

_DX_1054.jpg

300mm, single focus point with my 1Dx.  This is the "S" lens.  I use it almost exclusively because it is just a tad better in everything.  But check out that G2.  Keep using the center AF point, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Many thanks for your views steve

diverhank
Authority

@ABBOTALE wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 1D MK11 and a EOS IDS MK11 and have been usinig a Tamrom 150-600mm mk1 which is rubbish slow AF Out of focus was informed not to use single focus point ??? Are the sigmas any better many thanks Steve

How old was your Tamron mk1? Was it made at the beginning?  There was a rash of problems early on.  My problem was that the VR wasn't working properly and made the pictures blurry when VR is on.  A trip to the Service Center solved that problem but the VR wasn't designed for moving objects so VR, even when working properly,  is virtually worthless for birds in flight.  Later, Tamron came out with another firmware fix where VR will automatically turn itself off when panning motion is detected.  I never bothered sending it in again because I always turn off VR for action shooting.

I never thought AF on the Tamron 1 was slow at all...it's a fraction slower than the Canon 400mm f/5.6L but totally usable even in the most challenging situation.  Here is one picture I took with the Tamron Mk 1.  In this picture, I was chimping and heard the crowd gasping and the jet noises so I raised the camera and shot it sight unseen.  Nailed this shot ( Tamron 1 with the 7D mark II) - AF was instantaneously fast as far as I was concerned.

@7D2, Tamron 150-600mm mk 1, @400mm,  f/7, 1/2500, ISO 250

16716594219_da843181fd_b.jpg

Many thanks for your post the was new in 2014 i got it second hand i read a comment on the Fred Miranda webpage that these lenses were designed for more modern dslrs ie 7dmk11 5dmk3 etc .

There were quite a few post about the lens hunting and freezing which mine does it focuses on large subjects fine and is very good upto 400mm He suggested not to use single point and to expand.

Contacts are clean just hoping things will improve in the spring summer when weget better light

@ABBOTALE wrote:

You should always turn off VR and that usually solves the problem.  I always use a center point with 8 surrounding point for action shooting and it has not been a problem.  It should work well with just a single point but I haven't tried it.

I routinely shoot mine at 600mm with satisfactory results which I think is decent enough - take a look at my Flickr album for the lens via the link below my signature  (any less I would use my 100-400mm vers. II).

Regarding the Sigma - if I didn't have the Tamron already, I'd get the C version.  I think it's slightly better than the Tamron (but not enough to get it).  I also read that the Sports is much better built and sealed but the IQ is roughly the same as the C version and it's a whole lot heavier and more expensive.

Hank you are a STAR Mate i made the changes to the settings on the 1ds mk11 took some test shots and a Big improvement 

P.S. Your photos are AMAZING.... Many thanks for your advice Steve

Announcements