cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter not working with lens attached

Lsoper
Apprentice

Hello! I’m taking a photography class and the model I’ve been given to work with (EOS 80D) doesn’t take pictures when the lens is attached. I’ve tried it without the lens and the shutter and picture taking process seems to work just fine, but when I attach the provided lens to the camera, nothing happens. My professor has given me no indication on how to use my camera and has simply told me to reference my manual for help. If anyone knows anything about this situation I would really appreciate the help.

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It would be helpful if you can answer the following questions:
*  What lens you have attached to the camera - is it the 18-55, 18-135 or some other?
*  Is the lens in AF or MF mode - look on the barrel of the lens the switch is located near the body
*  What shooting mode (Auto, P, Av Tv or M) as per the dial at the top, you are in. 
*  Do you have a copy of the manual to hand - either in hardcopy or as a softcopy?

That said, the camera will not focus if it cannot find a clear set of contrasting elements to focus on and that will stop it taking a picture.
So, to test the camera functionality, please do the following:
1-  Turn the camera on, and make sure the lens cap is removed.
2- Check that when you look through the viewfinder that the letters and numbers displayed are sharp.  If not, there is a small dial to the right of the viewfinder that you can turn to adjust the diopter for your sight.
3- Go outside in good light and point the camera at a building or other object that casts a clear shadow, or has a clearly-defined edge.  
4-  Set the mode dial to P mode, and make sure the lens is in AF mode - do not try to use the manual focus ring. 
5-  Looking through the viewfinder, centre on where there is a contrasting edge between light and dark
6-  gently press the shutter button part way down.  The image should become sharp to look at and the camera may beep, which is a good sign.
7-  Press the shutter all the way down: you should hear the camera shutter working.
8-  If you hear the camera take a picture, looking at the back of the camera, press the button with the triangle to go into image view mode.  You should see the image that the camera took.

If you see an image and it looks clear then the camera is functional.  Please advise us in any event.

Once you get past this, if you want to learn more about using your camera, watch the following videos:
Learn Photography - Simple, Practical - Free Photography Course 1/10 - YouTube
and for details on the operation of the camera controls:
Canon 80D Overview Tutorial (youtube.com)

Again, please advise how it works out, we are here to help you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I edited the post, so you might want to check it again if you have not seen this.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements