cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Canon 600mm lens

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

The time has come to sell my big lens due to physical limitations.  I am not here to sell it, but only to ask about selling it.

It is not IS.  It is at least 20 years old, but is in good condition and works well.   I am the sole and only user, an amateur.

FWIW you can see most of my 20+ years of using it at www.excellentbirds.com (forwards to Flickr).

I would prefer to sell it as a complete package with my Gitzo tripod, Wimberly head, 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters,

a Lowepro bag, another Kinesis 600mm lens bag, and the original Canon hard case.

I don't know what I will ask, but plan to price it very aggressively.

I live in the greater Tampa area, but remember that Orlando is only 90 minutes away.

What would people here recommend.   I would prefer to at least try to sell locally because it is

imperative that they see and try it first.

If that does NOT work, can anyone explain how they sold something big that is a little bit specialized?

Any and all comments are welcomed!

Thanks,

Mitch

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First off, I would not try to sell it as a package.  The higher price of a package like this will limit the purchasers. Plus you will realize less, much less, of a profit.

I have sold many lenses. I find that any item that doesn't sell is simply priced too high. A lot of the time the seller values the item much higher than the buyers do. All original papers, box, straps, etc., are added value items for sure but usually don't add much money to the sale. They are more of an appeal thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks EB... I will keep that in mind. I plan to try to be aggressive on the price, although it is hard with something that cost so much!

I have one. I am in the same boat at 75, I almost never use mine anymore especially with the way more friendly and versatile  Sigma S 150-600mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@mitchmcc wrote:
Thanks EB... I will keep that in mind. I plan to try to be aggressive on the price, although it is hard with something that cost so much!

If you really think you won't be using it again then the value to you is basically zero.

So even though you think you are "giving it away" with your pricing you are still ahead of the game.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements