cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my poker winnings for a 150-600mm lens

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

I know some have the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6-3 Contemporary DH OS HSM LENS for canon R and would like to get some input on the pros and cons.  Thanks  JFG

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As mentioned, one needs to use a tripod or monopod."

I own and use the Sigma Sport and I almost never use a monopod and use a tripod even less. One of the popular  uses for a lens like this is BIF so a monopod and much worse a tripod is nearly impossible to use.

EB

Good point, EB:  " I almost never use a monopod and use a tripod even less. One of the popular  uses for a lens like this is BIF "..   I also hardly use a tripod and do not own a monopod.  I only use my tripod for astronomy shots which have timed exposures.  Since you own the Sport version, are the optics better than the Contemporary ?  Or does the Sport cost more cause it's built with better materials or just better built ?  Your input is appreciated.   Cheers, Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB

😃

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

I think your logic is correct.  I went and shot in drizzle/mild rain and found no issues with the lens.  The R6 series is not as robustly weather sealed as the R5, so that would encourage me to protect both if I was shooting in inclement weather - which I rarely do in any case.  For the investment of a few dollars, one can get a weather shield to wrap around both camera and lens and that would solve any rain issue.

Interesting to see the difference in prices in the US compared to NZ.  Definitely my own research and experience suggests that the Sigma and Tamron each have strengths but come out pretty much the same and, as you say, more depends on the person behind the camera, in any case!  Looking to get the RF 100-500 in the future is a good plan, they will come down over time, but I suspect you will still find a use for the 150-600 range!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I am viewing the video you linked to, and also include in return some reviews by Justin Abbott on the Sigma 150-600, some of which compare it to the others:
Dustin Abbott Sigma 150-600 - YouTube

I found this regarding the weather sealing of the 150-600c, which suggests its sealing is appropriate for the R6II.
The 150-600mm Contemporary lens isn’t as extensively weather-sealed as the Sports edition but still has a rubber gasket on the mounting plate, along with fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements to repel moisture and greasy fingermarks. The zoom lock switch can be engaged at any zoom setting that has a marked focal length.  Ref Digital Camera World

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As mentioned, one needs to use a tripod or monopod."

Not wanting to sound pretentious but if you can't handle, do to whatever circumstance, a lens like the Sigma C for BIF you probably need to select a different hobby. Generally shooting BIF you are not holding the camera/lens for a really long time at a time. Using a monopod and or a tripod makes BIF exceedingly more difficult. Shooting sitting birds or mainly static animals or in the zoo you can use either if there are no restrictions about doing it.

I have always related it to myself using the Sigma Sport with out issue that anybody could certainly handle the Sigma C but here again its a try before you buy situation as everybody is different and I spent a lifetime handling heavy camera gear.

A Blackrapid strap is a good idea.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I think the appearance of a lens like the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens works against it. It looks big and it is black and the first thought is, it is going to be difficult to use. And, that is before they try it out. I find both it and the Taron G2 to be quite handholdable and for extended periods of time. I know there are those that this lens truly is a lump to handle. For those individuals I always suggest the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens. No longer made but readily available on the used market, this lens is an absolute joy to use. Very light at almost half the weight of the Sigma or Tamron. The ef 400mm prime offers the same aperture, too. It is in the same price range for a very good to excellent example.

EB

Thanks for the input EB.  I now have the money to purchase a 150-600mm lense and I'm leaning on going with the Sigma. However, I haven't decided on whether it will be the C or the S.  I'm going to look at the Tamron once more before deciding.  I will be ordering my lens on July 11 or 12 so I have a few days to compare all three.  I will let you know once I've decided.  So do you own the Tamron G2 ?     Cheers, Joe 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I am going to stick my neck out and challenge the weather gods that for the first time, in a long time, I can get out without being rained on.  I was going to see if I could get some samples of the use of the R6MkII (as opposed to the MkI) with the Sigma 150-600c.  Is there anything you would like to see?  I will likely go to the zoo, since it has shelters and a café in case the heavens open up again, and because it is guaranteed to have wildlife of various types, given it's winter here and there is not much except the odd bird in Auckland right now.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements