cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIgma 150-600 Contemporary or Sport: Good fit?

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

Hi there. I'm a hobbyist, happy to stay with my DSLRs (1DX Mk III, 7D Mk II, 20D, and 300D) and a selection of decent (almost all Canon) lenses. I'm not interested in moving to mirrorless, since my kit is all in good shape and will probably last longer than I will.

I recently picked up a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L II, and I've liked what I've seen with some preliminary testing. My lens wish list now only includes a 500mm. and I've been looking at the Sigma 100-600. It seems like a good tool, and it's available at a reasonable price point. I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience using that lens with either the 1DX or the 7D. I'd really be interested in hearing (reading) your comments.

Thanks in advance!

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…
21 REPLIES 21

Thanks for that info! Honestly, you know what I use my tripod for mainly? Pictures of the full moon! Nearly everything else I do is handheld. Sometimes I will sit down and use one of my knees as a base to hold things steady. I'm not quite of your vintage yet, having just turned 60 a couple of months ago (and I'm just not quite sure how that happened!).

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…

I actually rarely use a tripod at all, even for moon shots, given the moon is so bright.  I have pretty much always shot hand-held from when I started shooting wildlife and would be out in the wild for a while, so a tripod was a luxury I could not afford to carry.  Using large, heavier lenses hand-held is a good incentive for doing weights, which is good for my general health.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I use a tripod when I am in a single location for an extended period of time shooting wildlife.  I used a monopod for the football shot from the sideline.  The use of a tripod on the sideline would be hazardous to player and photographer alike.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens and I use it on my 1DX. I love it. It is heavy but I do use it hand held 80% of the time. As a matter of fact you came to the right place as I either have or have had every one of the so-called super zooms made. I can say buying today I would choose the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. It is just a tad bit better than any of the others currently on the market. Actually had it been an option when I bought the Siggy Sport I would have chosen the Tamron over the Sport.

Comparing the Sigma Sport to the Contemporary isn't easy as they are aimed at totally different markets. The C will be all that most amature photographers need. The Sport on the other hand is aimed at the more advanced person. If you need a lens that will stay in the game as long as your Canon 1DX, you want the Sport. The Sport is extremely well built fully and weather sealed while the C is plastic.

You know Sigma has a new version, the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I do not own one but found it to not be any improvement over my current Sport lens. I don't see much upgrade for a 60mm f5 lens so I am not interested.

Go check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. It's the one to have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Funnily enough, I just today saw quite a few reviews of the 60-600 on YouTube. That seems like an impressive lens, but it's also $1000 more than the Contemporary, and I can't justify that expense just now. Since I'm an avid, but definitely amateur, hobbyist, I'm of the mind that the 100-600C will serve me very well, as long as I'm paying attention to the lighting conditions.

I would agree. Rrally, how likely is it you will be shooting in the rain. But as insurance, just get a camera rain cover.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I bought a Sigma 150-600C contemporary primarily as a lightweight lens for hiking and I have been very happy with its performance (and weight).  The image quality was better than expected, attached images were taken when I was testing the lens shortly after it arrived from B&H.  They were captured with one of my 1DX III bodies.

It focuses quickly and in general performs very well, especially given it fairly low price and weight. 

I do a lot of sports photography and have several of the Canon "great white" primes (200 f2, 300 and 400 f2.8, 800 f5.6) and they certainly outperform the lower cost Sigma in lower light and can provide the type of beautifully blurred background you expect from a wide aperture prime but with reasonable operating conditions the Sigma provides a huge "bang for the bunk" benefit.  I wouldn't use the Sigma 150-600 (either flavor) for night time sports and even in the day the focus speed isn't as fast as the Canon primes or the 70-200 f2.8 and 200-400 f4 Canon zoom lenses but the Sigma is very quick.

I don't think you would be disappointed with it and it works very well with the 1DX III and the solid 1 series DSLR body coupled with this lens provides a lovely balanced combo that a lightweight camera can't match.  I don't recall ever using a tripod with this glass but I am used to handling heavy camera body/glass combos.

Rodger

1DX III, f 6.3, 1/1000, ISO 1,0001DX III, f 6.3, 1/1000, ISO 1,0001DX III, f 6.3, 1/1250, ISO 6,4001DX III, f 6.3, 1/1250, ISO 6,4001DX III, f 6.3, 1/1000, ISO 10,0001DX III, f 6.3, 1/1000, ISO 10,000

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the info, and really nice shots! The hummingbird in particular is excellent. Yes, I do believe that I need to make sure I'm shooting in good light conditions. If I were to try to shoot, say, sports at night, I'd use my Canon 100-400. (Actually, where I live in central Connecticut, I've found that a lot of places hosting professional sporting events don't allow you to bring in a big camera at all, unless you're a press photographer, which is kind of an annoyance.) But, since 95% of what I do is landscape/nature/wildlife/birds, it's not that big a deal.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I'm of the mind that the 100-600C will serve me very well, ..."

You would be in agreement of probably 80% of folks that want a lens of this type. It is why it is so successful and liked by everyone. One unfortunate aspects is the price since it is the cheapest one of the bunch that likely accounts for most of, or a large part of, why.

It really is a pity though, for a few dollars more, however, you can have the, IMHO, best lens in this group. The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is how my Saturday ended up and why I have to have gear like the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. Normal people go inside when this happens but not when you are doing a field show competition. 

_E1T7979.jpg

... and neither do photographers! 🤗

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements