cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rookie Lenses Questions

Cantrell
Enthusiast

All,

When I used the D70 and 700 I used zoom lens . I did not have any fixed lenses. I have carried that habit over to my transitioning to my R10. I have four lenses and they are all zoom lenses. What is a prime lens? When would I want to use a fixed lens versus a zoom lens? Is there a fixed lens or lenses that I need to consider buying? Thank you for answering these elementary questions.

Reese

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

A prime lens is a lens with a fixed focal length. They tend to have wider apertures than most zoom lenses. I like to use one in low light situations or when I want to blur the background. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Thank you for response. I shot about 60% inside our house which tends to be on the dark side. I like to take pictures of my grandchildren playing, watching television, or eating. Some pictures of the grandchildren would be outside. Also,I like to take pictures of our dogs playing both inside and outside. I try to catch the dogs sleeping or resting. I do not do portraits. I do not liked staged pictures. Any suggestions on prime lenses that I should consider with the R10? Thank in advance.

Reese

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don’t really have any specific suggestions. If you wish to shoot indoors, any of the focal lengths ranging from 16 to 35mm should suffice. The smaller the f-number, the wider the aperture.  I like to use an f/1.8 lens indoors 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have four lenses and they are all zoom lenses."

Depending on which zoom lenses you have there is no good reason to buy or use prime lenses. If all your zooms are on the very slow side then yes a fast prime may be a good idea. Cameras of today don't require the very fastest lenses any longer to work perfectly fine in low light that they once did.

Prime lenses have become specific use lenses. If you have that need then they are great but for the average person they aren't the best choices. If you really want to up your game the very best thing you can do is get Photoshop or the lesser but still very good DPP4 from Canon. The best thing about DPP4 is it is free. Photoshop isn't but I would take it over the fastest most bestest prime lenses made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1,

Thank you for your response. I have the RF-s 18-150, RF100-400, RF-s 18-45, and RF-s 10-18 lenses to go with the R10.

Reese

Announcements