cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished "L" - Are they worth it?

BKA
Contributor

Are the refurbished L lenses Canon is selling right now worth the lower price or would it be better to go ahead and get a totally new one? I'm asking because the refurbished L lenses are at  seriously low prices right now.

Scatterbrained
Enthusiast
I can't imagine why they wouldn't be worth it. In theory they've all been individually inspected/tested for resale (vs batch sampling/testing on the assembly line). So long as everything works well and the glass is clean I wouldn't think twice about it. L lenses can take a lot of abuse. 😉

I don't think they market them here in Canada but based on the service I'm getting from the ones I've bought used I say if they have one or 2 that fit your needs & you like the price BUY. They have a better warranty than those on the used market, and you can be  pretty sure Canon will be there should you need to use it, can't say the same for a private sale EVEN if they claim they will take it back if you run into problems.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

EastLelandDavid
Contributor

BKA,

I have been shooting with a refurbished Ef 24-105mm  f4L IS USM lens 18 months ago.  It has become a "walk around"  lens, I use it heavily.  It performs flawlessly.  Canon does a thorough inspection and R&R,s the entire system.  Price can be a factor of reckoning.  Hope this is of assistance.  G/L

Carnac
Contributor

I have purchased four Canon refurbished lenses: 24-70/2.8, 16-35/2.8 II, 100/2.8 IS macro, and 100-400L. They all arrived in like new condition (absolutes could not tell from new). They all work great and have required minimal MA on my 5D mk II (also purchased through Canon refurbished program). All the lenses and bodies come with a 90 day warranty - plenty of time to give them a good check out. Highly recommended (even better when Canon runs its 20% sales). 

John
Enthusiast

I've bought seven refurbished lenses and one extender.  I have no complaints and appreciate the significant savings.  Mind you, I'm not a demanding pro - merely an enthusiast.  

It took an hour of 500 Internal Server Errors, but last night, I purchased my eighth refurbished lens.  When Canon has its 20% off sales, it must be a long day for their webmasters.

Below are the links I use.  It puts all products in a compact grid with the most interesting deals at the top.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751_highP...

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_29252_highP...

BrickR
Enthusiast

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished L lens from Canon.

ScottyP
Authority

Everyone says the Canon Refurbished lenses are as good as new, or maybe better since each one got some intensive TLC in the refurbishing process.

The only issue is that the prices are not really all that great except when they are on a 20% off sale.  The reason is partly due to the fact that Canon has to charge you sales tax, whereasother online dealers don't.  You can usually get a new lens for the same price, or possibly less counting the sales tax thing, if you hunt around.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements