cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens

neiodavince
Apprentice

Hi 

I am using my Canon Rebel xsi from last 2 years. i have only one lens which came up with the body. now i am planning to buy all the required lenses to got o next level. 

i am not sure what kinds of lenses i need to buy, there are no proper information our there, some sites have some good information but its very clumsy. 

My basic photography is landscaping, travel and People potriats. I am also planning to buy another canon EOS camera with has 1080 p video capability some thing like T4i or above. So my lenses also should meet these needs. so that i can shoot movies. 

thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

jfo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Welcome neiodavince!

I am using my Canon Rebel xsi from last 2 years. i have only one lens which came up with the body. now i am planning to buy all the required lenses to got o next level. 

i am not sure what kinds of lenses i need to buy, there are no proper information our there, some sites have some good information but its very clumsy. 

We'd be glad to recommend lenses, but that could be a disservice to you.  There are no "required lenses to go to the next level."  As a photographer, you are a creative and an artist, and the camera and lenses are but tools to help you do that: much like how the best cookware won't make a new cook's food taste incredible, nor a top-of-the-line paintbrush create inspiration for a painter.

To go to the next level of photography, you need to develop your way of seeing and understand how your lenses and camera are helping (or hindering) you.  From there, you can make choices based on what budget you have to buy additional gear.

My basic photography is landscaping, travel and People potriats. I am also planning to buy another canon EOS camera with has 1080 p video capability some thing like T4i or above. So my lenses also should meet these needs. so that i can shoot movies. 

You do three broad types of photography, and arguably, the lens choices here won't overlap very well.  What's your budget?

There are lots of great sites out there.  When I started out, I read the-digital-picture.com's reviews constantly (and still reference back). They not only review lenses for what they are, but give context with articles about common lenses for different types of photography.  Notice I didn't say "the best" lens for ____ photography.  I think this site keeps the right viewpoint that "best" can be subjective depending on what each person's needs and resources are.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

Hope this helps you get started.

Scatterbrained
Enthusiast

What lens to get will be determined by both what  you shoot and how what you have is hindering your vision.   One peice of advice would be to  look at your images  and see which focal length you  use the most.   Do you find yourself around the wide end  often?   Do you find youself  constantly maxing out at the long end?  Are you struggling to get "close enough" (macro/close-up)?    Taking some time to see what you use often and what you feel you need/want (more reach vs  wider vs closer vs faster) will help you decide which way to start looking.  Then you can give us more concise information and we can help from there.   Once you think you know what you want, if you're not sure about  it you can rent the lens from somewhere like LensRentals.com to see if it would be worth  the expense for you.  

What lens do you have now? What, specifically, can you not do with what you have? Unless you are a collector the reason to buy equipment is that you have encountered a problem you cannot solve with what you have. If you tell us what you want to do but cannot you will get good suggestions.

BrickR
Enthusiast

Assuming you're not going to buy a bunch of lenses at once, narrow it down to pick the next lens you want to get now.

Do you want wide? Do you want a standard zoom? Do you want a prime? Do you want a telephoto. The strength of DSLRs is in the ability to use a lens that is perfect for the task you want it to perform.

Announcements