cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF800 F11 lens AF issues?

rj28
Apprentice

My son started getting into photography within the last year.  Mainly birds & some wildlife.  He currently owns an R7 with the RF100-400 lens.  We were looking at the RF800 F11 lens but I noticed some reviews weren't great because of AF randomly not working.  Most of those reviews, however, were several months old.  There are also 5 star reviews which makes it confusing.  I'm just wondering if this lens is worth purchasing.  Were there legitimate issues with this lens or was it some sort of user error?  If there were issues, did Canon work them out or do they still exist?  I ask that last question because the people that claim to have had AF issues with it also point out that there is a small disclaimer posted somewhere that says AF may have issues.  I have never seen the disclaimer so that makes me curious.  I just don't want to waste money on this if there are known bugs with it.  Would rather put the money towards something better.  Thanks in advance for any input! 

5 REPLIES 5

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I have the RF 800mm f/11 lens, have used it with an R6 and an R6mkII. I have been blown away by its autofocus performance, which I've found to be flawless.

I wonder whether early reviewers were using early release of the lens or camera firmware, which might explain why some had issues and others didn't. I do keep my cameras and lenses firmware updated, but I don't remember that the RF 800 lens has had an update. Possibly it was a camera update.

I can only speak from my own experience, which is that the lens performs perfectly.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There are many independent YouTube content creators that are not very knowledgeable.  I would take all of these independent, subjective reviews by amateurs with a grain of slat.  I would put more trust in reviews that appear in actual publications, although these reviews are not always as independent as they might seem.  They could be paid by manufacturers to give glowing reviews.

As far as the lens goes, it is very good lens for what it offers, a high quality 800mm lens for under $1000 USD.  Because of the f/11 aperture you should expect a reduction in the number of available AF points compared to your 100-400mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There are a few options.  You can rent the lens from lensrentals, or buy it and evaluate it yourself.  If purchased from a reputable dealer, it will have a return policy.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kokopelli
Apprentice

I personally have found the lens great with AF over the last 18 months I have had the lens. The lens by design has a few limitations, but I understood these before I bought the lens. The 800mm lens for less than $1000 delivers great value and images, even at f11. I have even used the lens with the RF 1.4x TC and the AF works great. 

@kokopelli wrote:

I personally have found the lens great with AF over the last 18 months I have had the lens. The lens by design has a few limitations, but I understood these before I bought the lens. The 800mm lens for less than $1000 delivers great value and images, even at f11. I have even used the lens with the RF 1.4x TC and the AF works great. 

This type of feedback is super helpful.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements