cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF lens for street photography in the city?

gazzo
Apprentice

I have a Canon R6 II and im looking for a lens to use for street photography (specifically portraits).

Have seen various videos of people using the 35, 50 and 85mm. These seem to be the lightest of Canons RF lineup thus far.

Has anyone here got suggestions, or owns one that they specifically use and can reccomend for street portraits? Looking for something lightweight and fast that I would rent for a week. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

"I sure hope this doesn't come off as me being a jerk  ..."

Oh certainly not at all Gary. I enjoyed this exchange. Over the years I had the opportunity or sometimes misfortune to meet and interact with other full time and top professional photographers and, yes, some are "jerks".  I have always said and maintained what ever works for you is what you should do.

However most of the resident responders on this forum and the folks that ask questions are not professional photographers and do not make a living with their camera like we do/did. What is best for the enthusiasts and hobbyists is not very often the same as what is good for the person making his living with cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Glad to hear you enjoyed this exchange.  I did as well!  It helps getting to know others here.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I respectfully disagree with just a small part of EB's comment "90% of the time you are going to want and use one of the 24-70mm or 24-105mm zooms. And this goes for all photograph in general not just "street" "portrait" photography". "

Of course you certainly entitled to your opinion. But think this out further. The statement should be taken more as the basic context of FL of the two lenses mentioned. I.E. lets include the 18-55mm zooms. Think of all the Rebels and D3xxx Nikons sold. What do they ship with? Why do they ship with it? Canon and Nikon both know this is the FL that is most useful to most folks even the step up intermediate kits ship with a 24-105mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements