cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM: Help! Lens seems to be stuck/jammed

Msmendoza
Apprentice

Hi! I have a RF-S 18-45 mm lens and it won’t retract or extract. The dial moves very loosely but doesn’t zoom in as it should and it won’t retract back into place. It does still take pictures but it seems to be stuck in 18mm. I bought this about 2 weeks ago so it’s very new still and lightly used. Any advice? Does this happen often?

5 REPLIES 5

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Msmendoza,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your lens. There are a couple of things to check with an issue like this. The first is to double check which ring you are turning. The smaller ring closer to the front lens element is the control ring and that ring is supposed to move easily. That ring would not zoom the lens in and out. The zoom ring is the thicker ring closer to the rear of the lens. When you turn that ring it should zoom the lens in and out. That ring should stop turning once it reaches either the lock position or the top of the zoom range.

The other thing is to double check the lens is unlocked. To unlock the lens you would turn the zoom ring past 18mm. 

If you want to reference the manual there is a diagram showing which ring is which on page 5 and there is information on unlocking the lens on page 7. If you need a copy of the lens manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named RF-S 18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Instructions.

Thank you! I ultimately decided to just send it in to canon support and it’s being replaced! The zoom ring was turning around continuously without zooming in or out. I have no idea what happened but I’m just happy to get it fixed haha! Thanks!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In addition to Hazel_T's comments, can you please tell us what camera is the lens being used with?  Might you have <MF> manual focus enabled?

See page 8:

rfs18-45f45-63isstm-im2-eng.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Using it with an R50, thanks for your help! I decided to send it back to canon to be looked at and it’s getting replaced. Thank you though!! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the follow up.  If this is your first experience with Canon, please know that this is not common and I'll bet you never have another issue with the camera.  Canon stands behind their products.  They want your experience to be positive.  Congrats on the R50! 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements