cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF Lens on an EF camera body

CuriousPR
Contributor

Hello, everyone.

I understand that the newer mirrorless R/RF cameras can be fitted with an adapter that would allow them to use older DSLR lenses.  I recently found out, however, that DSLR camera bodies could use R/RF lenses if the DSLR camera is fitted with the proper DSLR-body-to-R/RF-lens adapter.

The issue is that there seems to be a pretty conspicuous lack of information out there about obtaining an adapter allowing R/RF lenses on EOF bodies.

Although I can easily find places online where I can obtain an adapter that fits on a mirrorless R/RF camera allowing it to use older EOS lenses, I’ve been unable to find ANY sources where I can obtain an adapter that would fit on my EOS camera body - in my case a Canon T4i - which would allow it to accept R/RF lenses.

Does anyone know of any places or sources that have or talk about an adapter that can fit on an EOS camera body and which would allow that EOS camera to use R/RF lenses?

Thanks very much in advance.  🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite

That information you have found is false. You cannot use RF lenses on EF or EF-S Mount cameras. Look up flange distance for details. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Absolutely, there is no adapter to put RF lenses on EF bodies.  Simply put, RF lenses are designed to attach to bodies that have no mirror mechanism.  Putting them a DSRL, which has to accommodate the mirror mechanism  that has to have room to flip up between the sensor and lens rear element, is physically impossible.  There may be claims about that there are, but the physics simply do not allow that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

That information you have found is false. You cannot use RF lenses on EF or EF-S Mount cameras. Look up flange distance for details. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for that information, sir.  I was reading last night with regard to the subject of flange distances and how (excuse my layman’s grasp) the distance on EOS cameras is quite deep compared to mirrorless cameras.

So there is no adapter that can be put on an EOS camera would allow it to fit RF lenses?

Absolutely, there is no adapter to put RF lenses on EF bodies.  Simply put, RF lenses are designed to attach to bodies that have no mirror mechanism.  Putting them a DSRL, which has to accommodate the mirror mechanism  that has to have room to flip up between the sensor and lens rear element, is physically impossible.  There may be claims about that there are, but the physics simply do not allow that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you very much for this thorough explanation.  Much appreciated, sir.  🙂

click here to view the gallery
Announcements